1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tire size increase

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by chihawks35, Feb 27, 2013.

1. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

i have a 2007 silverado 1500 z71 new body syle extended cab with a 2" leveling kit. im looking to increase tire size and im looking to see if this size jump would work

im currently running some 265 70 r17 i like my stock wheels but i am interested in purchasing some Nitto Trail Grapplers size LT285/70R17 E121/118Q these tires are about an inch and 3/4 taller than my old ones and im wondering will i get any rubbing?should i stick to the same size and just go that route. i would like some taller/wider tires but i dont want to get my MPG destroyed as well any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!

2. Morpheus

Morpheus New Member

A lot of leveling kits and suspension lift kits will mention in the installation instructions what tires to run with the lift. With the Rough Country 2" level kit they advise a 285/70 for your year model truck.
  3. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

i have the rough country thanks i think thats what im going to go with
  4. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

A 285-70-17 will have an overall height of 32.71 inches, the 265-70-17 is 31.61 inches.

That's a difference of 1.1 inches. They should not rub, but you will want to get the ECU updated to reflect the new tire size. Believe it or not, that will throw your automatic transmission shifting off.
  5. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

The trail grapplers are actually 33 and some odd inches they have a little deeper tread which I think makes them taller. I've read some guides and it seems like as long as I have leveling kit I won't rub. Thanks for the input. As far as ecu goes I wouldn't even know where to start with that
  6. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can get a tuner like Hypertech or Diablo. One of the options is to tell the ECU how tall the tire is in inches.
  7. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

I'll have to look into that thanks
  8. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 100 Posts

Should not be a problem... I'm running that size without a leveling kit on my 2500.
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a level kit on my truck with 33's although mine are 12.50's and they rub a little. All I did was trim the inner fender skirt to remove what it was rubbing on. I think if you went with something like a 11.5 or so it may not rub.
  10. chihawks35

chihawks35 New Member

yeah the ones i want are 11.57 thanks for the input