1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tire Size

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by bamamike007, Dec 1, 2013.

1. bamamike007

bamamike007 New Member

Hey I was wondering what the largest tire size I could fit on my 2008 Silverado with a Rough Country 2.5 Leveling kit. Also I was looking for some tires that were cheaper then nitto or toyo that would give me both a good look and good quality. Thanks!

2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

With no rubbing... I'd say 285x70 or 33x11.5. My next set of tires I'm getting are 285x65r18... with the specific tire I am looking at are 32.8x11.8

3. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm running 275/60R20 Cooper AT3s with a 2.5 inch leveling kit on my '08. Very minimal rubbing on driver's side when wheels were at full lock to the left. Just had to snip the very edge of the plastic where it rubbed.

4. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 Member

What wheel size do you have on your truck (or are you planning on going with?) I'm not sure about an 08, I just got my 14' Silverado and first thing I did was put a 2.5" lift/level kit on it...and put new tires. After doing a TON of a research on what would fit (without rubbing) and what wouldn't...I went with 275/70/18. I put on Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs...they are VERY tough looking and I've been told they wear like iron (should get alot of miles with them). There is no rubbing issues at all. I had read about people saying 285/60 or 285/65/18's.... I looked up each tire manufacturers website and looked at the actual specs for each tire I was interested in....275/70's are always taller. They are between 33.2-33.4" tall depending on the make. The 285's were never over 33" tall. I'm not sure if there are any differences in clearance between an 08 and 14 (I would think not) ... but I would recommend checking out the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. And ps- I did zero research on a 17" wheel, so I can't help you there.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

On my truck:
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/136546-Newb-from-Georgia

5. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 Rockstar 100 Posts

285-65-18's as stated earlier. I ran two sets in this size with NO rubbing with the prototype 2" level kit on my truck. 33-12.50-20's did rub some but that was on the sway bar and at full lock. To fix this I drilled two small holes in the front inner fender and zip tied it back so it would not rub and so I wouldn't have to hack it all up to clear properly. Use black ties on both sized. On the front inner fender toward the cab I took a blade and cut the plastic flush to the body and deburred the plastic so it looked clean. Then I had no rubbing. < this was just an idea if you wanted a true 33" tall tire.

With most level kits a 32.5 tire is all your going to effectively clear without any modifications to the fenders.

Stay away from high offset wheels as these make clearing 285's and such hard since they push the tire further out of the fenders and cause the tire to hit on the bumper pieces and below the doors. Stock offset should be highly considered when doing level kits.

6. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 Member

Are you speaking for the 08's specifically regarding the modifications to fenders with any tire over 32.5"? I clear a 33.4" tall tire with absolutely no rubbing at any point in the steering rotation...and have done mild off-roading with no rubbing at all. All this on my 2014, with a 2.5" level/lift from Rough Country (as stated by the OP in his original question). I kept stock wheel, and I had no reason to go wider then 275s, I didn't really even want any wider due to personal reasons - based on the look.. but like I said, no rubbing at all.

What do you mean by a "true" 33" tire? If you go to any tire manufacturers website and pull up the tire you want, if you find the link for full specifications, they list the height and width for each size of that tire (as well as a ton of other info - load rating, weight, approved rim widths, etc).
    So for example: Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac from Goodyear website:
    33X12.50R15LT - 32.8" tall
    LT275/70R18 - 33.4" tall

I thought the only difference in sizing was metric vs standard? Metric is some weird equation like the second number is the sidewall, and it's a percentage of the first number which is the width in millimeters. But I would still think you could have a true 33" tall (or any size you are looking for) with a metric measured tire.

7. Rocketmanh5

On this I am referring to the NNBS trucks. On the NNNBS(new new new body style if you please) I am unsure as I have not yet had the opportunity to tinker with one.

By "true" yes I meant going off of dealers specs on their tires castings. The closest "true" being closest to a 33" tire being a 32.9 or 33.2.

And yes, you are right on the standard vs metric situation. The size is a formula (so to speak) determined upon the width, sidewall height, and the wheel size. This all in turn give you your diameter and width in "standard" size so to speak. I did run 275-70-18 Nitto Terra grapplers at one time with absolutely no rubbing. This was due to the fact that the tire had minimal lug depth and was not aggressively shouldered. The mud grapplers I tried at one time had all sorts of rubbing issues during the photo shoot due to their aggressive lugs. Also some tire manufactures measure to the lug(if aggressive depths) while some measure to the casing itself. This is also common among ATV tire manufacturers so they can compete with larger tire sizes yet have less money involved while marketing a smaller tire as a bigger size.

Sorry for any confusion.

8. GeorgiaZ71

GeorgiaZ71 Member

Ok, makes sense...I think you know quite a bit more about this than I do! Thanks for the follow-up...and sorry to OP for hi-jacking the thread. And on the tire sizes...I was totally shocked when doing research about the overall height of tires. I would never have guessed a 275/70/18 would be bigger (or should I say taller) then a 33" tire!

9. Rocketmanh5

Your welcome. And it's confusing at first to take it all in but it's easy to learn.

10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I agree...the 285/70/17s will fit just fine (I think you have 17s?). On my 2008, I had a Ready Lift 2.25" leveling kit with that tire size and they fit nicely and had a great look.