1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

tire size

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by k_lakey, Mar 15, 2009.

1. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

i have a 1990 full size GMC stepside SWB with a 4' lift and 33's on it now... but i want to know if i put a 3' body lift on it how big of a tire can i put on it? i know of a guy that has the same truck with the same lift and he has 35's but it looks like he could go up to a 37.....
  2. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

you may like going bigger though personally unless you live in a swamp I personally don't know why you would need bigger when they mostly just waste gas and power, but you just don't want to go too much wider in a tire because then you get into the rubbing.
  3. sheep

sheep Rockstar 100 Posts

go to any tire shop and they can test fit a 37 and a 35 see what you like better. personally i wouldnt go bigger then a 35
  4. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

no i dont live in a swamp but i do like to play in the mud from time to time and i love the look of a big lifted truck...
  5. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

just a lil video of my friends and the trucks they drive... this was at a monster truck show we did with BIGFOOT [ame="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=45008583"]THUNDER SLAM 2008 6 Video by - MySpace Video[/ame]
  6. trojans1981

trojans1981 New Member

7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Becareful with how big you go. The 1/2 ton trucks break front IFS and rear axles easly when mudding with over a 35inch tire. We fixed many 1/2 ton trucks and the majority had tires over 35inches. Also your gearing would suffer.
  8. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

is there a way to fix that? with out putting in 3/4 ton axles.... or just stick with 35's?
  9. k_lakey

k_lakey New Member

did you get it to work?? i cant...
  10. bigblue89GMC

bigblue89GMC New Member

I would say if you plan to do much off roading i would go with 35. Once you get bouncing in the mud 37 will rub in the front. I have a 6" lift and 35 and mine rub on the fender and dented it. Also the axle thing, you WILL break them and other things will wear out faster with bigger tires. My friend has a 91 2500 with a 6" sup. and 3" body with 38's and he is always replacing ball joints, tie rod ends, etc. and he doesn't off road it at all. Also with bigger tires new gear ratios will be in your future. just my .02