1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tire size

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Burden33, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Burden33

Burden33 New Member 100 Posts

So guys im in the market for bew tires and i been looking at tires wider the. 12.5. I found a set of 35x14.50 and was wondering if my 20x9 are ok for that size tire or should i change my rim as well
  2. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

I personally I would not run 14" tires with those rims, the rule I go with is rim shouldn't be less than 4" than the tire. With wider tires means lower tire pressures for a better wear, rollin off the bead with less tire pressure, especially when off roading, I would look for 12" rims if you really want that wide of a tire
  3. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member 100 Posts

Can you? Yes. Should you? Maybe not. Most tire manufacturers recommend no more than 4" difference between the width of the tire and the width of the wheel. If you do decide to run that tire with a x12 get ready to break out the sawzall.
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

like they said... you CAN, but is it recommended NO. for example... a 305/55R20 (33x12.5) nitto trail grappler the recommended rim width is 8.5-11.0..
    so if your looking for a tire 2" wider than that, i think you would want a rim considerably wider than 9... possibly 10.50-13.00
  5. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Don't look now but that beetle in your post is catching you.
  6. Burden33

Burden33 New Member 100 Posts

im planning on adding a 3" bodylift when i gets new rims thats if i do decided to go that wide and my new coilover will also give me an extra inch as well
  7. Blackout07

Then get after it son. Although it still wouldn't surprise me if those tires rubbed on a 12" wide wheel. It's about to be tire time for me and I think I'm going up to 37's, but these damn trucks have terrible fender wells.
  8. Rockstarrchevy81

Rockstarrchevy81 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

In my opinion a 35 13.50 is wide enough since i had 33 13.50's that stick out a good bit and along with the lift they stick out even more. I would say get ready for allot of chips in the paint because everything is going to sling up on the side of the truck. I could tell a big difference in 12.50's and 13.50's and have a few chips that i didn't have before from the tire being so wide. I plan on adding a 1.5 or 3 inch body lift sometime next year along with 35 13.50's with my 18x9 rims since i made up my mind not gonna get new rims for awhile..
  9. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You again???
  10. Blackout07

What? :neutral: