Tire Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by vncj96, Dec 2, 2008.

1. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I want to get a 4 inch lift and put some 18 inch wheels on 33" tires. I know mud tires dont work well in the snow, so I need a good on/off-road tire with good winter grip, I am not a fan of BFG tires, any real world help/experiance?

2. dutzowmo

dutzowmo Rockstar 100 Posts

Cooper tires are very good for the price. I had two sets on my old truck. when i bought my new truck it had firestone, they work alright too, alot more expensive though

3. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

I've used BFG mud terrains in the snow with no problem, and Pro Comp All terrains are pretty good.

4. wallstetter

wallstetter Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

i lve got toyo M/Ts and they are great so far but if you dont want mud tires i would go with toyo A/ts

5. jerrynino

jerrynino Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

i have no experience in snow but my new bfg at's are awesome... i had some firestone destinations before and they werent as aggressive but still held their own

6. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Cooper ST's or STT's are great in the mud and snow and just about everything else you can throw at them.

7. bassalive

bassalive Rockstar 100 Posts

For the winter months we used to buy a good tread or retread with a square pattern like knobbies on a motorcross bike. You can't beet this pattern for snow. I've travelled alot in the white stuff as it's on the ground more than it's gone here in Canada. Put a good pattern on her and weight in the back and you'll be pulling out the boys with mudders.

8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You need to first decide if want an aggressive traction tire, or an all-terrain tire. If you don't plan on off-roading much and travel mostly on paved roads then all-terrains would be more what you are looking for. I have had both BFG A/T's as well as BFG M/T's on my 87 Blazer. And Toyo A/T's and currently Toyo M/T's on my Silverado. Both brands and styles were great in the snow (both A/t's maybe a little better) and the A/T's are quieter on pavement. My wife has Toyo A/T's on her 2001 suburban and has no traction problems driving in winter conditions.

9. Family Force 6

Family Force 6 Rockstar 100 Posts

10 ply's?

We bought our 99 burb with BFG Commercial T/A, load range E, and apparently they have lasted for quite a while (the dealership where the previous owner had it serviced recommended these)

95% of the time we'll be on roads, some snow, but not usually deep. Less concerned about traction with 4wd. What would be a good on road, long lasting tire?
    thanks.

10. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

BFG AT's:great: