Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tired 95 Suburban

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by BigE burban, Nov 30, 2010.

1. BigE burban

BigE burban New Member

Anyone have any suggestions for a an engine upgrade for a 95 suburban that can drop in and use the existing computer, intake, throtle body, etc....

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I would personally just drop in a Reman 350 Chevy, with a new set of headers, and really that is about it since that will allow you to keep everything the same way, and get the power back.

3. BigE burban

BigE burban New Member

Yeah I thought bought just doing that, but the 95's were only rated 190 horse. I tow a 30ft camper during the summer. I run 35's, and 4:56 gears so it it does alright. I was just hoping there was something a little stronger than stock that i could drop in that would get me a bit more towing power.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

For a few more bucks, you could run a 383 with Vortec heads. Would require some PCM work, but a huge improvement in power. Or, put in a 6.0 and 4L80. Bigger project, more money, best return.

5. murdog94

There is a 383 Stroker that is compatable with the factory assecories... Im just not to sure about it. A search of the site might turn up some more information. I think you may want to go with a Holley TBI unit and higher flow intake that will help and work great with a stock output motor and a high output motor.

6. BigE burban

BigE burban New Member

2COR<---- I was convinced that I was going to have a 383 stroker built from my current 350, but after doing some reserch, it looks like this could get pretty pricey quickly with machine shop cost. I then started doing some reserch on a 6.0 conversion. I agree this will be a lot bigger project, and time consuming for me, but it is looking like it may be the cheaper route to go. I have read some forums that show that I would be able to the conversion in the neiborhood of $1400-$1600. It looks like I would be at that total in just machine cost going the 383 stroker route. Can you elaborate as to why you thought the 6.0 conversion would cost me more? Just want to get you thoughts, as after reading all the forums, and options I am really confused what would be the best route for me to go on a tight budget.

7. grandparon

grandparon Member

Run down to the chevy dealer and ask about their performance crate engines. Be sure to tell them you need a engine for towing and not for top end performance and see what they have to offer.

8. murdog94

The 6.0 and the 4L80 will cost over 2grand alone... then you will need the entire wiring harness, and drive shafts, PCM. Basically it will be easier to get a donor rig to do the changes.. You are looking at $4grand just for a donor truck, and then time etc to get it all done, plus motor mounts to adapt to the older style frame and all the misc stuff that comes with a custom install. However like 2Cor says better returns.
    The 383 can be bought already build for around $2500 or so.. and then it is just a plug and play and if you are doing the work yourself then you are looking at just the cost of fluids...
    Here in lies what you plan etc.. You can get a same body style with the 454 Vortec, and just do what you have done to your current truck as well.. Kinda depends on your wants..

9. BigE burban

BigE burban New Member

I read in a forum somewhere ( I forget where, but I think it was LS1.com) where this guy goes thru the 6.0 swap in great detail. He even showed an itemized list of parts, and cost. He says he picked up a complete 6.0 (minus harness and ECM) for $450 with 70,000 miles. He says that they can be picked up under $800 pretty easily with under 100,000 miles on them. I have no idea if there is any truth to this, but he seemed to know what he was talking about. I guess what it comes down to is that I need to start making some phone calls to see what I can pick a 6.0 up for in my area, and make my decision based on that. I am not afraid to do a butt load of work , as long as I get the results I am looking for, which is a much healthier tow rig on a limited budget.

10. murdog94

The 4L80E is going to be your biggest expense and the harness and PCM are also not cheap.