tires are rubbing need help

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Cuda1500, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Cuda1500

Cuda1500 Member

i just bought some aftermarket wheels for my 97 gmc sirria 4x4 with a 3in body lift, the tire size is 33x12.50x15 but the rims are so offset that they rub on the bumper when i go in reverse, i trimmed the plastic air damn down some but they still rub once in awhile depending if im on a incline, any tricks to making these work, i would say the front tires stick out about 2-3 inches past the fender , and the rims are 10in wide , and i was wondering if i put 33x11.50x15 or 33x10.50x15 for new tires on would i have this problem then since the tries are narrower or would i have to go with a 32 in. tire.

2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Do you have a leveling kit installed or just the body lift?? That might solve your issues. Also something that i have considered on lifted trucks is actually moving the bumper forward a touch.

3. Cuda1500

Cuda1500 Member

no leveling kit, just body lift, what mounts on the bumper do you have to loosen and play with to get it to slide forward, and could i just solve it with going with a narrower tire

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I think you might be able to help some with slimmer tires.. and a leveling kit would help as well. I know there are guys on here running around with 33X10.5s so that might be the way to go.. And if they still rub then you can go with a leveling kit which will bring the front suspension down and away from the bumper. As for bumper relocation i havent looked to close it was just a thought since i dont prefer a lifted truck.

5. Collin01

Collin01 Member

i ride on 33x12.50x20 on a 2001 gmc sierra. i have a 2'' rough country leveling kit installed and my tires no longer rub. i had to grind a lil metal down so they wouldnt rub but ive never had problems with the front bumper. i would just go with the leveling kit and that should keep them from rubbing