1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tires for beach sand???

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by earthteacher, May 22, 2007.

1. earthteacher

earthteacher New Member

I just purchased a 2500 HD with the Duramax deisel. Love the truck but when I went out for a beach cruise I sank quickly. I had to drop the tire pressure down to 25 psi to manage the loose stuff. The stock tires are smooth on the road but useless in the NC surf. Anybody have any tire suggestions? I'd like to keep the stock wheels if possible. Thanks for any and all beach driving advice!
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sand is always a trickly problem. I've spent my time in sand dunes and on different beaches across the country, sand it a tough beast to conqure.

From what I've experienced, there are three ways to get through sand. 1) Get paddle tires of some type. Check out sandtires.com and you'll see what I mean. 2) Go as big and wide as possible for your tires. This helps to create float, but it's not for every vehicle. 3) Let the air loose to create more surface space for the tire to ride on. It's not going to hurt your rims unless you drive off the sand very far once you leave the beach.

[​IMG]
  3. earthteacher

earthteacher New Member

Thanks for the input...

I don't think I want to go through the $$ to swap out wheels so I think I'm going to be limited to stock size tires. Any thoughts on good A/T instead of LT tires? Would I notice much difference?

Thanks!
    Bob
  4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I would think going to anything wider than the stock tire width would help keep you on top of the sand instead of digging.
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What year truck, and what size tire do you currently have? Wheel fitment (is that a word) is a function of year/make/model/body style, and the width/backspacing of your existing wheels.
  6. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Sand has always been a problem for the entire history of the automobile.

It has to do with the total footprint that is on the surface of the sand compared with the total vehicle weight. Basicly, sand-designed tires will help, but not solve the problem of sand. Your goal is to stay on top of the sand, not dig in, that's why worn tires will do much better than brand new knobbies.

I read that during WWII German troop carriers in North Africa actually had no-tread baloon tires and they did well in the sand. After that, the paddle tire came out for heavier vehicles and the dune-buggy came into existance as an ultra lightweight way to get though the sand, so the larger tires don't have as much weight on them.
  7. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

On my wife's 2001 Suburban, we have 18" 50 series A/T tires and have had it in the sand several times on the Washington coast without any probs. My 2006 Siverado 2500HD has 20" wheels with the same 50 series A/T tires on them (305/50/R20 to be exact) and I'll bet I won't have any probs as well. Def. go with wider.
  8. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you can run bigger than stock tires on stock rims.....
  9. earthteacher

earthteacher New Member

Ya,I guess that info would help. I have a 2007 2500 HD Classic. The stock tires are 245/75/16. Thanks!
  10. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a 2 wheel drive GMC sierra 2500. The stock tires for that are 245 70 R16. I have 265 75 R16 on there now with no problem. I'm not sure how much bigger you would want to go because then u have to worry about the tires rubbing. However I'm pretty sure that its recomended to lower tire pressure for sand. I know in Cape Cod we usually go down to between 16 and 20psi. Hope that helps. Oh by the way im running Cooper Discoverer ST's.