Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tires for my AWD ! What do you like?

Discussion in 'Chevy Express Forum (GMC Savana)' started by endneu913, Dec 24, 2010.

1. endneu913

endneu913 New Member

This vehicle will see myriad of conditions from tons of highway road trips, to plenty of offroad trails, a bit of snow, a possibility of sand and a bit of boat towing.

Im leaning towards a bit of an aggressive off road look for styling, but im not going overboard by any means. ( no swampers :no: ) lol.

If i let tirerack do the research for me it would seem that the top 3 options are:

Firestone Destination AT

Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61

Michellin LTX A/T 2

Based on a 245/70/16 or a 245/75/16

Loving any input from you AWD guys!

Thanks!

- Grae

2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the GM truck club Grae. Us, selecting tires for your vehicle is going to be difficult. The best thing you can do is determine what percentage of each type of driving you're going to do, & go with the tire that best fills the requirements for the highest percentage. My only caution would be to not go too agressive on the tread if you don't like tire noise on surfaced roads.

3. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Nitto Terra Grapplers are a good choice (what I'm running). Heard good things on the Kumho's as well.

4. endneu913

endneu913 New Member

Thanks guys... Yes, back when i was into the range rover scene i had some off roading pals with the terra grapplers, and the geolanders, which they liked well, respectively. I had the bit more aggressive Dunlop Maxx Traction, which were semi loud but very good.

Regarding the % of road condition issue..... Seeing that 99% of our U.S. roads are paved.... ( or so it feels ) The question is answered there. Its the necessary evil to get to where the offroad/ sand and snow conditions... In my area, in my opinion. This is why i chose the AT tire family.

Now, to argue with myself a bit, I took the new AWD van up into the local hills, and found some snow to play around it. The van came with some very worn Toyo Open Countrys. I was shocked at how well it handled in snow, even with almost bald fronts and 50% rears. It was impressive. I can only assume that the the AWD and shear weight of the van was a huge help. Cant wait to get some new tires on there and conquer ALL ! : )

5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Michelin. No contest.

6. ippielb

ippielb Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

BFG All Terrain

7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Firestone or Bridgestone all day! i have the destinations and a set of Duellers. Both perform Awsome in the snow.

8. endneu913

endneu913 New Member

Thanks again for the input. So far im leaning twords the Firestones. They seem to have the best rating, based on the largest miles reported ( out of the top five rated tires. Runners up based on the data would be Duelers or the BFGs, But the highly ranked "old" duelers must have been discont, cause they dont come in hardly any size. The "new" duelers ( Dueler 2 ) rank just a bit higher, but on severely less mileage criteria reported.

Based on price alone, the Firestones win the day and also have the better rating in all categories and on higher reported mileage. ( i nixed the #1 rated Kumho based on its how little reported mileage there is)

Data: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

... I could be over thinking this. : ) Sounds like they are all good tires.

9. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Michelin are the best..most money..but the best, no doubt !!!!!

10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

[​IMG] Scorpion STR Is what I run during the summer months....Yes they can be Big $$$ But I found them on Craigslist cheap with only 5000 miles on them. And after driving this past summer with them I love'em....