Tires - Michelin LTX Winter

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Jamm3r, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Before Christmas I got a set of Michelin LTX Winter tires for da 'burb in 245/75-16 E.

There isn't much selection in load range E winter tires. I suppose the Blizzaks are probably just as good.

It's too early to tell for sure but so far these seem to have better ice and snow traction than the all-season tires I ran last year. I have become a believer in winter tires and have extra rims for them. I have Michelin x-ice3s on my daily driver and it has made a substantial difference, which is to say you get very little traction on bad icy roads rather than no traction at all. One bad crash pays for a lifetime of winter tires.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I did not know that Michelin made a LTX winter. I have always run the LTX MS with no issues. I searched the LTX winter and the tread pattern looks the same as the M/S. Are they just a softer rubber?

3. Jamm3r

Jamm3r Member 2 Years 100 Posts

It's supposed to be a softer rubber, yes. Also, they are a little more heavily siped.

I'm running LTX AT2s in the summer, which have very little siping, and a more open tread suitable for playing in the mud.