Tires squealing when turning.

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Cheez, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

So as my tires are wearing a little more, I've noticed they like to screech a lot more when I make a hard, low speed turn. They usually only do this when turning from a dead stop or less than 10 mph (parking lot turns). I just have the stock Goodyear LS-2 275/55R20 on. They're the same tires from when I bought the wheels. I'm starting to feel like the tires may be a bit too wide for my truck to handle. I know there are a couple members on here with OEM take offs on trucks similar to mine. Do you guys do this?

I think when it comes time to purchase new tires, I will go down a couple sizes in height for performance.

2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I had a 235/75/15 Uniroyal TigerPaw as a spare that did the same thing on my old 97. Never really figured out why though

3. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Mine are only a little off from yours (Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17) Mine do not make any noise unless I make them make noise.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Could be an alignment issue, could be castor or camber are off a little, or it could simply be that those tires got a little stickier as they got older and worn.
    An alignment check will delete the suspension from the equation.

5. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

I was thinking that. They're wearing pretty evenly so I don't think I'm going to worry about getting it looked at. I think I'm just going to side with they got sticker.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you havent already tried it rotate them, might help to get a little more mileage out of them.

7. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I've got the exact same tires. Only 2,000 miles on them and they do it too. My 05 did the same thing on 17's, I never figured out why either.

8. Cheez

Cheez Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah, they've been rotated twice since I put them on the truck. They're wearing fairly even so I'm not worried.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one. I guess it's just the tread pattern of the LS-2 or something...?

9. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I'm not sure. All of my front suspension seems fine. No alignment issues or anything at all. I'm switching to Nitto's in a couple of months when I get new wheels...so we'll see what happens.

10. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I noticed tires screech with hot temps and on parking lots with coating/sealer