1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tires tires tires Arg! 10ply vs others Road hazard

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Dr_Zero, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Ok I have a 96 Suburban K1500 with a 5.7 and I drive mostly on the pavement but live on and frequent many places on some rough dirt roads and unimproved roads tow very little but do carry extra weight.

I looking at getting some new tires and many places are telling me that the regular tires are ok to run (they are 4 ply tires) but then the door sticker says LT tires and those are 8-10 ply and the shops are telling me that they will ride rough.

So what would be consensus?

I have had 8 ply on two other vehicles and didn't think they were bad but have not had them on a Suburban.

Also is it worth $150 more for life time rotation and balance and road hazard? I can buy a tire cheaper than the extra cost of these options.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

tires tires itres 10ply vs other

Also had 96 Suburban 4x4 and always ran 8-10 ply tires. Lighter ply tires on that heavy truck will not last as long. Road hazard warranty is a personal thing, if you live in a area with bad roads it might be worth it.
  3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

When I had my '97 Suburban I bought a set of Goodyear Wrangler TD ( option tire on pickups) because i had 2 sets on my GMC Sierra and really liked the ride & traction, but on the Suburban they just didn't last. At the time money was tight so I went to Wal-Mart(don't laugh) and bought a set of Liberator light truck tires ($400 out the door), can't remember the exact model but they were some of the best tires i've ever had! point is, I was also told I didn't need LT tires but I went with them anyway and was glad i did, The suburban is heavier than a pickup so why wouldn't you use LT tires!!!
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I was going to put a set of the Uniroyal Liberator A/T on my moms 96 burban but still havnt gotten to wal mart yet. i have heard good things about them and they are cheap. Anyway, I would go with an 8-10 ply tire. The burban is a heavy car anyway and it will help a lot with tread life as well.
  5. jchambers849

jchambers849 Member

My 10 plys ride rougher than the stock tires, and gas mileage suffers a little bit due to the extra mass you are turning. I run 65 psi and they are marginally louder... not bad but you would probably notice it going from one pickup to another. I wouldn't run anything else... however. I ride a lot of dirt roads and haul 4 wheelers and sleds in the bed often... I never have problems when everyone else are getting rock punctures or hot to the touch sidewalls. Now my 10 plys do seem to suffer in the traction department compared to the softer, lower ply tires, especailly on icy/snowy roads, but the high PSI may be the root of that problem.

Just as a reference, I run Kumho Road Venture AT's... a very economical 10 ply. They have lasted quite some time, probably 30k or so, and they probably have another 10-15k in them. I believe 245/75/16's are running about 130 a pop around here, compared to 170ish for BFG or Wrangler 10 ply tires.
  6. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i think road hazard is worth it if its 150 for the set. i like knowing that as soon as i pull off the lot and i hit something to damagethe tire, all i have to pay is a fraction of the price of a new one
  7. Dr_Zero

Dr_Zero Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I have had Liberators on two rides and they have been fine tires! I have been considering them for the burb.

I have been looking at Nexen Roadian AT2 and sumimoto htr sport A/T and Firestone destination A/T

http://www.nexentireusa.com/tires/
    http://www.sumitomotire.com/theline/product.asp?c=lt&id=8
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination A/T
  8. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

firestone destination A/T I have heard are good tires as well. its your choice tho
  9. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

150 is a decent price for free rotate and balance and road hazard. At the shop i work at we offer free rotate and balance for 4 tires and only $7.50 a tire for road hazard but i guess it all depends on where you live.

I think road hazard is a no brainier, i put it on all my tires. i guess look at what they cover we have free flats and a pro rated replacement if the tire is not repairable or you destroy the tire
  10. chevynerd

chevynerd New Member

I recommend visiting tirerack.com to research tires. They have many major tire brands represented. It is really interesting to look at the ratings that include noise, wear, traction in different driving conditions, and many other aspects. Probably the best part about the info is that is collected from owners of those tire. It is a real life representation of the tires by people who own them. I think you will be surprised which tires are rated highest. As for the question about P tires versus LT, I have ran both. The P tires were a LOT smoother, and I thought they wore great on my 92 full size chevy that I hauled things in. My current pickup has LTs and they are great too, but they ride considerably rougher on basically the same truck. Hope this helps.