Tires VS Gas milage

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by RedneckGirl, May 23, 2010.

1. RedneckGirl

RedneckGirl Rockstar

I have a 1995 1500 4x4. Is there a way to figure out your gas milage when you put bigger tires on without having to hook it up to a computer? I have 36's on my truck so I know my milage is way off from what it says. I think it's a 1/10 of a mile off for every mile but I'm not sure.

2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Have someone follow you. Then just do the math. What a p.i.t.a.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

4. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If you have a gps like a garmin or tom tom, these will tell you your true mileage while you are driving also.

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

With the bigger tires and wheels. There is also more mass for your motor to turn. You are going to see a decress in braking and MPG's.. If you were getting about 14 mpg's before I would say your down to about 12 now...AVG..

6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

With the bigger tires and wheels. There is also more mass for your motor to turn. You are going to see a decress in braking and MPG's.. If you were getting about 14 mpg's before I would say your down to about 12 now...AVG..

7. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

A crude way of measuring would be to determine how many gallons of fuel your tank holds, fill up your fuel tank, keep track of your mileage as you drive until you have a half of tank of gas, then do the calculations. i.e. you drive 100 miles on 5 gallons, you will get 20 miles per gallon. Definitely not 100% accurate, but you can get a rough guesstimate if you don't own a gps :).

8. sc99z71

sc99z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Use a tires size calculator and figure out what percentage your speedo and odo are off. Then after a full tank of fuel take your mileage and add whatever percent the calculator gave you and that should be real close to your actual miles driven. Then do the simple miles per gallon math and your done.