1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tires, wheels, and leveling kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Smitty87, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Smitty87

Smitty87 New Member

I have a 2012 Chevy Z71. I have a few questions I would like to ask. First off, I'm thinking about putting a leveling kit on my truck and was wondering I would need to replace the shocks. Also, what's the best leveling kit to go wit? Secondly, I'm thinking about putting the Toyo Open Country M/T's on it and was wondering if anyone had experience with them.
  2. All depends on what leveling kit you go with. For my 2008 3500HD I had a performance parts level kit installed last year. Kit came with new torsion bar keys and shock brackets so you do not have to replace your shocks. Sorry - no experience with those tires.
  3. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You do not need to replace your struts/shocks with a leveling kit. You can get the Ruff Country 2" kit for less than $100 shipped to your door. All the leveling kits do the same thing but you will see some cost way more than others. I went the ReadyLift route and I was very pleased, but if I had to do it again I woul have saved the money and just got the Ruff Country. Just my $0.02

Toyo M/T's are great everyday mud tires. I keep bouncing back and fourth between Trail Grapps and Toyo MT and both are really good. I noticed the Toyo's on my truck hopped a bit more than the Trail Grapps do. I am on my 2nd set of Trail Grapps and had 1 set of Toyo's.
  4. ljmueller

ljmueller Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Or you could skip the leveling kit and go right to the lift. That's where so many of us end up anyways. lol. Agree with Ajarman, Ready lift makes a good kit, however there's really nothing to them. There all pretty much the same. Good luck to you.
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Not all level kits are created equal!! I went with a performance upgrade when I installed my level kit. I went with the King Shock upgrade. With that came an adjustable coilover with a remote resevoir. It was just as expensive as any other 4" or 6" kit would have cost.