1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

To any one who doubted Stability control

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by BigMike2011, May 26, 2011.

1. BigMike2011

BigMike2011 Member

So me and one of my buddies were goin to eat at this place called texadelphia in Los colinas. It's about 20 minutes away off of highway 635. Any way my bud was drivin and he has a 2010 Tahoe and we were in the far left lane goin about 75 when a girl in a Acura had a blow out. She swerved and hit the passenger side bumper and sent us spinning once around and finally into the ditch in the grass. We got out and luckily no one was hurt but when the fire department came they said that without the stability control we would have easily flipped and we are lucky to be alive. This did happen today about 3 hours ago and this is to all who think stability control is unnecessary. I thank the lord that I'm breathing right now and chevy for innovation!
  2. stephan

stephan Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Glad to hear you guys are alright. Now if "The Stig" had been driving, he would have just knocked her back into her own lane & continued on to Texadelphia :)
  3. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If only there was a 'Like" button for comments that reference the Stig. :lol:

To the OP - I don't really have any personal experience with stability control (other than it literally stops you in my mom's buick if you try to accelerate uphill on a slippery road), but I do like the idea of having vehicle with active safety features like that. I'm glad everyone made it out of that incident safely.
  4. donl

donl Rockstar 100 Posts

I believe it's the traction control that limits wheel spin and not the stability control.
  5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Fair enough. its all integrated together though, and as a result is more useful in its application, but that is my only personal experience with giving a vehicle that level of control.
  6. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

glad to here that your ok man.

Alex
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

So what happened to the girl in the Acura??
  8. Crispyt

Crispyt Rockstar 100 Posts

Glad that your ok. Ive heard a lot about people saying Stabilty control being a joke and not making a difference. Im lucky my truck even has front ABS. That alone has saved my butt once or twice.
  9. BillD64

BillD64 Rockstar

Sort of doubt the Stability Control kept the vehicle from flipping if you spun around. All Stability Control does is use brake application to increase or decrease yaw in the direction the driver is turning the steering wheel if the vehicle isn't responding adequately to the driver's input. It can do some amazing things but once you yaw past a certain a point the laws of physics take over and you and the Stability Control are along for the ride. The Fire Dept people probably have no clue as to what Stability Control actually does. Head into a corner too fast with the front wheels understeering too much and the SC will apply the inside rear brake to yaw the vehicle more into the turn and reduce the understeer. If the backend of the vehicle is coming around in an oversteer situation it will apply the outside front brake to slow the yaw rate.

With SUVs and trucks SC reduces roll overs since it helps the drivers maintain control of the vehicle. But you guys did a 360 which means control was lost.

Bill
    1 person likes this.