To debadge or not to debadge?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TimTom64b, Sep 14, 2012.

1. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

Been tossing around the decision to debadge my truck or not. What is pushing me is that the side molding are starting to show their age. What has everyone else done? I hate to remove the moldings as they protect against dents from all those idiots who park right on top of you.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I debadged and de-molded the sides but left the tailgate badges. In fact, I replaced the ugly red/black plastic GMC logo with a chrome GMC logo on the lower right side of the tailgate.

I've not received any new dings but I also park in the way-out since it's easier to pull through spaces and park. Ultimately, it's a personal decision...
  3. AMac

AMac New Member

I say remove the badges where you feel it would look better without them. I removed my side moldings because they were textured and not painted like the ones on my old Sierra. They would look weathered whenever the truck was super clean. What other badges are you considering removing? I also removed the FlexFuel, LT badge, and the rear emblem which was later replaced with a black chevy emblem from AMI.
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

Im thinking the side moldings and rear 4x4 stickers.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator

Looking at the Photo Album of your Silverado, IMO By Removing the Door Trim Molding and the 4x4 Sticker's, Will give your Silverado Cleaner Look to it, with these 2-items Removed.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member

Demold and remove the 4x4 stickers, but leave the badges.
  7. bazar01

bazar01 New Member

What is the best way to remove the 4x4 sticker on the side of the bed? Heat gun?
  8. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator

I've done it (on a buddy's truck) with a heat gun. I have repeatedly heard hair dryers work as well.
  9. bazar01

bazar01 New Member

I'll try that. Thanks.

It looks clean without stickers.
  10. McClintoc

Yeah, I've always liked the no-badges look. I would have done it to my truck long ago but never knew how until a couple of years ago. I am starting to think about debadging my 2001 but am worried about the paint underneath. As in, my paint isn't faded, as far as I can tell, but it is 11.5 years old. I am wondering if there will be a difference in the paint that is under the badges, since it's hasn't been exposed to 11.5 years of sun light, compared to the rest of the truck. I don't want to take off the badges and there end up being an outline of them you can still see.
  11. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia New Member

I thought about de-badging my truck, but when I think about it, the truck would be naked with out the badges and because the panels are so large, it breaks up the long stretches of sheet metal.
  12. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Probably. We used to take the decals off of the DMV Enforcement vehicles when they were about 3 years old. You could clearly see where the lettering was even though the paint looked great before taking them off. At night, it looked like they were still lettered from some angles.

Take a decal off and look at it. If the paint is different underneath, buy a new decal and put it back on.
    1 person likes this.
  13. McClintoc

That's the kind of info I was looking for. I will probably just leave my badges alone then.
  14. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

I am going to do it next week... A little buffing and should be no issues with the paint. Thanks for all the input.
  15. PaperPatched

PaperPatched New Member

I took advice found on another forum and used a piece of 20 Lb. monofilament fishing line to "saw" behind the bowtie (don't start pulling, you can cause a dent). Then used some Contractors Solvent (orange oil, give it some time to work) and my thumb nail (some people use a piece of plastic like an old credit card) to scrape up the partially softened goo. Next I washed off the oily residue from the orange oil solvent with dish detergent and water. Then I used a polishing compound. Washed again. And followed with Rejex polymer finish & a manual buff. I bought the truck four years old (25U Dark Ming Blue). There is no sign of the badge in the tailgate paint.
  16. TimTom64b

TimTom64b New Member

Got them off today... Used WD40, prepsol and a credit card. The credit card was a good tip. Now all I have to do is buff it out some.