1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

To debadge or not to debadge?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TimTom64b, Sep 14, 2012.

1. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

Been tossing around the decision to debadge my truck or not. What is pushing me is that the side molding are starting to show their age. What has everyone else done? I hate to remove the moldings as they protect against dents from all those idiots who park right on top of you.
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I debadged and de-molded the sides but left the tailgate badges. In fact, I replaced the ugly red/black plastic GMC logo with a chrome GMC logo on the lower right side of the tailgate.

I've not received any new dings but I also park in the way-out since it's easier to pull through spaces and park. Ultimately, it's a personal decision...
  3. AMac

AMac New Member ROTM Winner

I say remove the badges where you feel it would look better without them. I removed my side moldings because they were textured and not painted like the ones on my old Sierra. They would look weathered whenever the truck was super clean. What other badges are you considering removing? I also removed the FlexFuel, LT badge, and the rear emblem which was later replaced with a black chevy emblem from AMI.
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

Im thinking the side moldings and rear 4x4 stickers.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Looking at the Photo Album of your Silverado, IMO By Removing the Door Trim Molding and the 4x4 Sticker's, Will give your Silverado Cleaner Look to it, with these 2-items Removed.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  6. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Demold and remove the 4x4 stickers, but leave the badges.
  7. bazar01

bazar01 Member

What is the best way to remove the 4x4 sticker on the side of the bed? Heat gun?
  8. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

I've done it (on a buddy's truck) with a heat gun. I have repeatedly heard hair dryers work as well.
  9. bazar01

bazar01 Member

I'll try that. Thanks.

It looks clean without stickers.
  10. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Yeah, I've always liked the no-badges look. I would have done it to my truck long ago but never knew how until a couple of years ago. I am starting to think about debadging my 2001 but am worried about the paint underneath. As in, my paint isn't faded, as far as I can tell, but it is 11.5 years old. I am wondering if there will be a difference in the paint that is under the badges, since it's hasn't been exposed to 11.5 years of sun light, compared to the rest of the truck. I don't want to take off the badges and there end up being an outline of them you can still see.