1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

To debadge or not to debadge?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TimTom64b, Sep 14, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts

I thought about de-badging my truck, but when I think about it, the truck would be naked with out the badges and because the panels are so large, it breaks up the long stretches of sheet metal.
  2. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts

Probably. We used to take the decals off of the DMV Enforcement vehicles when they were about 3 years old. You could clearly see where the lettering was even though the paint looked great before taking them off. At night, it looked like they were still lettered from some angles.

Take a decal off and look at it. If the paint is different underneath, buy a new decal and put it back on.
    1 person likes this.
  3. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

That's the kind of info I was looking for. I will probably just leave my badges alone then.
  4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

I am going to do it next week... A little buffing and should be no issues with the paint. Thanks for all the input.
  5. PaperPatched

PaperPatched New Member

I took advice found on another forum and used a piece of 20 Lb. monofilament fishing line to "saw" behind the bowtie (don't start pulling, you can cause a dent). Then used some Contractors Solvent (orange oil, give it some time to work) and my thumb nail (some people use a piece of plastic like an old credit card) to scrape up the partially softened goo. Next I washed off the oily residue from the orange oil solvent with dish detergent and water. Then I used a polishing compound. Washed again. And followed with Rejex polymer finish & a manual buff. I bought the truck four years old (25U Dark Ming Blue). There is no sign of the badge in the tailgate paint.
  6. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member ROTM Winner

Got them off today... Used WD40, prepsol and a credit card. The credit card was a good tip. Now all I have to do is buff it out some.