GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

To Install, or not to install. That is the Question!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Drake_korthos, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member

Ok folks I'm workin multiple angles to try and figure this out, but I'm bettin somebody here will have a faster answer!:great:

I purchased the Volant Ram scoop to compliment my Volant CAI, but have yet to install it. Although VERY dry out here in the desert, it does rain occasionally. My issue is with the semi flooded streets and the ram scoop. See, I can tread 14" of water no problem in the truck, but the scoop opening would be below the waterline. I'm concerned that at 35-45mph, I may force water up into the intake box and cause myself some serious problems. I'm not overly confident that I will be "just fine" which is why I'm lookin for some fellow gear head guidance. IF it turns out to be an issue, I'll wait to install the scoop when I've figured out how to equip a decent plug for the opening. Would rather cap it from the outside instead of having to pull the filter out to cap it every time the moronic weather person says it MIGHT rain :grrrrrr: . Not sure if it's relevant, but I also have the Power Core filter installed. Cheers and thanks again!

Oh, and if it turns out I need to plug the goram thing, I'd love to hear ideas! Thanks!!:sign0011:
  2. highspeed

highspeed New Member

I don't think you will have to worry about that as much as you think. Water will go to the lowest point in the intake, unless you are flooring it wide open all the time.

I was stationed in AZ for a few years, and yeah it was dry most of the time but during "monsoon" season the streets would flood. It rained very little there, not much different than Vegas (been there also).

I am not very familiar with the Volant CAI and hood scoop, but I do know that the filter will provide a ton of protection. You would have to be completely submerged to hydro lock the motor more than likely.
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

You can also get a Dry filter or Prefilter cover It's a Nylon cover that stops water and Fine dust.. K&N has them..
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

I'm running that exact setup (Volant air box, Power Core, and Volant scoop) and the pre-filter is absolutely the way to go -- both for water and dust reasons as Enkei mentioned. It's basically cheap, reliable insurance.

I did't know if a round K&N pre-filter would fit the Power Core, so I stuck to the Volant pre-filter so I wouldn't have to hassle with the possibility of a return.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

I have that setup minus the pre-filter, plus I have functional ram air through my hood going to the air box. I drive my truck through rain, snow, ice, whatever Ohio weather brings, and have never had a problem.
  6. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member

Thanks for the input, folks! Think I'll pick up the prefilter and then install the ram scoop. As dry as it is, IF I end up having concerns about the water I will have plenty of time to devise a cap! Thanks again! :sign0011:
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member

You shouldn't need to bother with a cap. The Volant pre-filter only allows .004 micron or smaller things through it. A water molecule is .0001 microns -- meaning it'll make it through, but keep in mind that we're talking MOLECULES of water ... which are in the air your engine already ingests, as atmospheric air is never perfectly dry. Cloud, fog, and/or mist droplets tend to be 10-15 microns in size ... and won't make it through. They are 10 times smaller than the smallest of raindrops ... which, obviously, also won't make it through.
  8. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member

Hey folks, finally installed the scoop! Was a bit of a learning curve fitting the tube into the truck, but my grandfather and I were able to pull it off! After talkin with Lew, I'll put some miles on the truck and then log a new run to see if a modification to my tune is necessary. Thanks again for all the support!
    Oh and on a side note, I tried e-mailing Volant a few times inquiring about my concerns, but nobody ever responded. Will try giving them a call Monday to see what was goin on. It's one thing if my worries were unfounded, but quite another to ignore a loyal customer.