1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

To Line - X or Not To Line - X

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by dennisshipman, Aug 2, 2013.

1. dennisshipman

dennisshipman New Member

Weird but two of my fender flares right left rear and right front are noticeably faded. I wanted to have them coated to save money but the Line - X dealers in the area are asking $200 - $225 with the flares removed. I think that is high for 10 to 15 minutes worth of work.
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

That is pricey for just a couple of fender flares. The whole bed is only about $100 more. Check your local automotive or even hardware stores. They sell kits so you can do it yourself. Personally, I wouldn't do whole bed with those DIY kits but a couple of fender flares should be pretty quick/easy.
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is expensive. I would not do it with the diy kit. Personally, I do not like the way those kits look. I would grab a bottle of Armor All Extreme Shield wax and wipe them down with it. It will bring the black back to looking new and last a few months. I just did the cladding on my dad's avalanche with extreme shield and it turned out great. I even use it on my black running boards. It makes them black again and is not slippery.
  4. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] how long does that Armor All Extreme Shield last? Is something you'd apply on a monthy basis or every six months, etc? I need to rehab my plastic bumper caps.
  5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

it has lasted on the black trim on my mirrors for more than 4 months now. I applied it in a march and it still looks new
  6. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts

I am assuming that these are those black fender flares that are either screwed or glued on to the wheel well arches.

I have heard that that Wipe New actually works for bringing back the look to faded plastic. I would give that a shot. I hear you need to wear rubber gloves as the chemical you wipe on is kind of toxic.
  7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Do it yourself with a roll in bed liner kit.
  8. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

yep, i got quoted about the same for my liners, as cool as it looks, its just not justified with the cost...
  9. Scratch

Scratch New Member

If that's the price for black LINE-X Premium (won't fade), I say it's a fair price. They will clean, scuff, and spray black Premium and encapsulate the flares. It will take an hour or two.

DIY stuff is total junk and most of them are pretty darn ugly.
  10. ajarman

ajarman New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Where in the world are you getting Line-X done for $325!? Around here it cost $500 over the rail for 5'9" bed. I had my running boards sprayed with no fad Line-X and it was $200 and I thought that was a fair price.

[​IMG]