GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

TomTom? GPS units!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ThatSilverStepside, Nov 28, 2009.

1. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside New Member

anybody got one? i got one yesterday at wal-marts black friday sale and its pretty cool...(i think it makes driving a little more dangerous because its so distracting and fun to play with :happy:)
  2. Tommygunz

Tommygunz New Member

Have one for years.. they are great.. they do have their limitations though.. don't always trust them out in the sticks in back roads.. well developed areas though they are great
  3. ThatSilverStepside

I haven't used mine much...but that's probably because I AM way out in the sticks and i know every road within at least 30 miles of here..
  4. bigburb

bigburb New Member

They are a nice little gadget to have! We're actually using ours right now on our way back from Washington to Loveland (1,325 miles). Still only on the Oregon/Utah line lol. TomTom doesn't always suggest the most efficient routes, but it will reprogram itself if you miss a turn or something.

I'd say go for it!
  5. unplugged

unplugged New Member

Yeah, I've got one and I've had to learn how to behave myself when driving. I've blown through a stoplight while trying to locate a restaurant. I'm not keen with the address input method. City, street, then number. Just the opposite of the way you would write that on an envelope.

Almost useless in the desert. With Streets and Trips on my laptop with a GPS antenna I can navigate to any latitude or longitude off road or not. TomTom can't find a route when there is no obvious road to the location.
  6. Tommygunz

Tommygunz New Member

the input method is that way because the database macro is much easier toi write..

Like narrowing down options in a database.. narerow it by city, street, then finally house number..

Its wierd, but it works
  7. ThatSilverStepside

is there any way to reprogram it so it avoids unpaved roads? right now it tells me to take a detour off the highway onto a gravel road, and then return onto the same highway.
  8. Coolwheels05

Coolwheels05 New Member

I picked one up on Friday too, but I can't have it until X-mas.
  9. Tommygunz

Tommygunz New Member

In the settings there are options to change those things..

Go to preferances and then routing options or somethign like that.. i don't ever remember where those options are.. I just sit and play with it until I get it.

Those options do exist though
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

I've got the low-end Garmin unit, it's the same. I paid $79 for it at Wal-Mart last year for BF. I was able to download and update the maps too, but just for example we tried to go to CiCi's pizza in New Braunfels, TX and they had it on the wrong side of the freeway I-35. That's no small problem it caused us about 15 minutes of extra time to find it.

That being said, it's night and day for just about any trip that I need to make I use the GPS and I think we're going to get some for gifts as well this year for family members that keep getting lost.

:fighting0040:
  11. s5belford

s5belford New Member

I'm thinking about getting a tomtom too, hope you enjoy it!
  12. 09Z71

09Z71 New Member

personally i think Garmin is more accurate on country and back roads. the guy i bought my Garmin from said that TomTom is really good in Europe but not so accurate here. i do love the Mr. T voice in the TomTom though. "turn right foooo!"
  13. Tommygunz

Tommygunz New Member

I found a Homer Simpson Voice a while back.. its fun too
  14. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member

I have a Garmin and could not live without it. I cover three states for work so I rely pretty heavily on it. I just moved to Concord, NC about a year ago and have found that it is taking me longer to learn my way around though, I guess because I rely on Garmin. I also used this to dial in my speedometer when I upgraded to 35's and 4.56 gears.
    I used a TomTom while on military duty in Germany and it worked great. It was fun to listen to because it was the European version so she had an accent.
  15. Nickw059

Nickw059 New Member

tomtom

Yeah, I have one, I love it, you can update it so you have diffrent voices, I was cruising in the mountains with it, and it brought me to a random dirt road that i thought no gps would find! I thought that was pretty cool.:great: