1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

TomTom? GPS units!

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by ThatSilverStepside, Nov 28, 2009.

1. ThatSilverStepside

ThatSilverStepside Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

anybody got one? i got one yesterday at wal-marts black friday sale and its pretty cool...(i think it makes driving a little more dangerous because its so distracting and fun to play with :happy:)

2. Tommygunz

Tommygunz Rockstar

Have one for years.. they are great.. they do have their limitations though.. don't always trust them out in the sticks in back roads.. well developed areas though they are great

3. ThatSilverStepside

I haven't used mine much...but that's probably because I AM way out in the sticks and i know every road within at least 30 miles of here..

4. bigburb

bigburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

They are a nice little gadget to have! We're actually using ours right now on our way back from Washington to Loveland (1,325 miles). Still only on the Oregon/Utah line lol. TomTom doesn't always suggest the most efficient routes, but it will reprogram itself if you miss a turn or something.

I'd say go for it!

5. unplugged

unplugged Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yeah, I've got one and I've had to learn how to behave myself when driving. I've blown through a stoplight while trying to locate a restaurant. I'm not keen with the address input method. City, street, then number. Just the opposite of the way you would write that on an envelope.

Almost useless in the desert. With Streets and Trips on my laptop with a GPS antenna I can navigate to any latitude or longitude off road or not. TomTom can't find a route when there is no obvious road to the location.

6. Tommygunz

Tommygunz Rockstar

the input method is that way because the database macro is much easier toi write..

Like narrowing down options in a database.. narerow it by city, street, then finally house number..

Its wierd, but it works

7. ThatSilverStepside

is there any way to reprogram it so it avoids unpaved roads? right now it tells me to take a detour off the highway onto a gravel road, and then return onto the same highway.

8. Coolwheels05

Coolwheels05 Rockstar 100 Posts

I picked one up on Friday too, but I can't have it until X-mas.

9. Tommygunz

Tommygunz Rockstar

In the settings there are options to change those things..

Go to preferances and then routing options or somethign like that.. i don't ever remember where those options are.. I just sit and play with it until I get it.

Those options do exist though

10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I've got the low-end Garmin unit, it's the same. I paid $79 for it at Wal-Mart last year for BF. I was able to download and update the maps too, but just for example we tried to go to CiCi's pizza in New Braunfels, TX and they had it on the wrong side of the freeway I-35. That's no small problem it caused us about 15 minutes of extra time to find it.

That being said, it's night and day for just about any trip that I need to make I use the GPS and I think we're going to get some for gifts as well this year for family members that keep getting lost.

:fighting0040: