1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tonneau Cover: Best Soft for Over-Rail?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by mjs84, Apr 28, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. mjs84

mjs84 New Member

I have a 2009 Silverado 1500 crew cab short bed (5'8") with an over-the-rail bed liner.

I'm looking to purchase a tonneau cover - soft, that will work with the over-the-rail bed liner. I don't mind cutting the bedliner. Looking to spend no more than $250. Any suggestions?
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have a Truxedo that sits above my bed rails. The cover itself sits a 3/4" about the bedrails and the tonneau cover railmounts mount directly on top of the bed rails. However, because the mounts used C type to mount, I ended up drilling a few holes on each side, thus not it does not stick out from inside of the bed rails. I think they are about $300 bucks though......it is model #:

TruXedo 263701 TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau Cover

I'm sure your model # will be different, as I have a 6'6" bed
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

TruXedo and Extang both have good soft tonneau's. Check out there websites, they have several that fit with over-the-rail bedliners.
  4. Goldie

Goldie New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

If you decide to go with the Extang, the snapless model is worth it for the ease of operation. I've had a snapless Extang now for 7 years and wouldn't be without it. I've had two trucks with Extang tonno's and like them very much.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

I also have a Extang snapless, had it since '05 and it still hanging in there. I just wash with truck every week and once a month use a protectant on it.
  6. wis bang

wis bang New Member 100 Posts

I have the Extang 'Tuff Tono' which sits on top of the rail w/ 2 piece clips fastening the rails, the guy cut little windows in my liner.

No snaps, good warranty and it comes w/ a parts list if you do need stuff. One for my long bed was higher than a standard or shorter one. It was a little over $350.00 installed.
  7. silveradotrailblazer

Extang was the first company to come out with a cover that had a frame system that clamped on so you didn't have to drill holes in the bed of your truck. Now everybody makes 'em.
  8. mjs84

mjs84 New Member

great thanks guys this is great info. much appreciated.
  9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have the trifecta hard cover and really like it. I was debating on going with the soft one but to keep stuff more secure went with the hard one. The reason I like the trifecta is it folds in three sections and can easily be removed for full use of the bed.