Tonneau Cover Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Wadero, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Wadero

Wadero New Member

I am having a hard time finding a tonneau cover for my 97' Silverado. It is a short box stepside that has a Line-X spray in bedliner. Preferably, I want a soft roll up cover that has velcro and not snaps.

Also there is no lip inside the box so a clamp-on mount would not work. Would I use self-tapping screws instead or are there other options?

Any recommendations on where to look to buy a cover? I'd prefer to install it myself to save a couple of bucks.

Thanks.

2. redneck70

redneck70 Rockstar

3. Wadero

Wadero New Member

Truxedo is probably going to be the way to go. I was hoping to go with one not as expensive but it seems as if all the cheaper brands either don't offer one for a step-side or have snaps.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Extang also makes a soft tonno for your truck.

5. Wadero

Wadero New Member

Does Extang use snaps or velcro?

6. silveradotrailblazer

They use what they call a "J" bead, works like a zip-lock bag. Works well.

7. Wadero

Wadero New Member

Interesting I may have to check them out. I see that you are from Alabama so you may not have experience with this but any idea how cold weather and snow affects the "J" Bead?

8. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I have the Extang 'Tuff Tono' with the J bead, With the cross rails in the lower 'winter' position I have been able to open and close the tarp in cold weather. The sides need to be pulled into place and the tailgate end bar fits in place and snaps down to tighten the tarp. This bar is Velcroed to the tarp and rolls up inside. The sides can be just a little hard to get the last few inches seated, helps to do it in on a sunny winter day after the sun has baked the frost off the tarp. I was told to stay away from the snaps as they are almost impossible to do in cold weather.

My Bro in Law has an Extang soft cover that fits on a frame so you can open it like a hard cover +/or unsnap and roll the tarp. It might be a better mounting for your bed...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  9. silveradotrailblazer

We had snow down here last winter and it was a little tuff to get started but once started it went right on. I've had this cover since '05 and it still looks good. Wash it with the truck once a week and use protectant once a month.

10. Bakflip tonneau cover

If you are interested in a tonneau that easily folds away allowing full access to your truck bed when you need it, do check out Bakflip (www.Bakflip.com). And please join us on facebook http://www.facebook.com/bakflip where you can see read what owners of Bakflip say about the product and see owner pictures of the Bakflip. Also on facebook we are giving away toolboxes and $1000 for the best video.

Attached Files: