Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Tonneau Cover

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by jediracer, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jediracer

jediracer Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey all!
    I'm in the market for a tonneau cover for my '04 Colorado Ext. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 types; either the velcro roll-up or the peal and seal. Any had any experience with a peal and seal?

Please any and all comments and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jared

2. Stouffer

Stouffer Rockstar 100 Posts

No experience with those, but I love my trifold. It seals fine unless you are going through a laser wash. Then is leaks a little but not much. Comes on and off in minutes.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Ive had several Extang seal and peels on differant trucks. They seem to be easier to seal than the velcro type. I like Extangs frame system. Lifetime warranty on frame and 10 year on cover.

4. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

If you're looking at the Lund seal and peel, personally I wouldn't get it. They're as hard to use as the ones with snaps. You have to pull and stretch the cover to get it to seal in the rails, its not too bad on a sunny summer day but when its cold out good luck..

I like the velcro ones, they're easy to use all the time. The tension is adjustable on pretty much all of them so if it is hard to close you can change it. Out of all the velcro ones, I like the Lorado by Agricover the best. Its a little lower profile, but the cover material is a little heavier than the other brands and there is only one moving part on the cover so there's nothing that would break over time or from a lot of use. I think the trigger latch on the cheaper models from Agricover and on the Truxedo covers isn't as convenient and a little harder to use, but otherwise they're good covers too and seal up nice. The Lund roll up is a decent cover, the only thing I don't like about that is the seal above the tailgate. They use rails that have an endcap that sits up on top of the tailgate, because of that you can't mount the cover low enough to get a good seal and end up with a tiny gap over the top of the tailgate. You can fix it by popping out the plastic corners from the rails and mounting it lower, but when the cover is open the end of the rails are exposed and the edges are kind of sharp if you remove the corners. However, at work I'd estimate we sell probably 5 times more roll up covers from Lund compared to any of the other companies, mainly because they're about $80 cheaper. Most people don't notice or don't care about the little gap, but I'm picky!

5. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

How bout some pics guys

Hey guys Im thinking of adding one can you post some pictures of the covers you have.

6. groceryman

groceryman Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

just ordered a extang toolbox tonneau for my silverado i will let you know how it works out

7. jediracer

jediracer Rockstar 100 Posts

I have an over the rail bed liner. I know I'll have to cut holes in the liner for the clamps but is there anything else I need to know or look for when purchasing and/or installing a cover?

8. lbuajlw

lbuajlw New Member

I had one a jeep commanche many moons ago. It was the old style where the snaps were srewed right into the rear fenders. It sucked in the winter as the cover stiffened up so much that you could not take it off. I ended up destroying the cover in a fit to put it back on. Tore right up!

9. Irving10

Irving10 New Member

I have an Access roll-up cover that has velcro on my '04 Silverado. I love it! I have a Line-X liner that goes under the rails, so it works great with that. For an over the rail liner like yours, other than the 3 or 4 clamps down each side, I think it would also work just fine. The front and back of the cover sit flush with the bed and tailgate. The company was also super helpful when I had an issue with uninstalling and reinstalling the cover when I got my liner.

10. Gnarnar

Gnarnar New Member

i have a friend happy with his peal and seal but i like my single lock snug top way more!