1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tonneau Covers Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Dactyl, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Dactyl

Dactyl Member

I got a A.R.E Tonneau cover and I keep going back and forth about whether I want to keep it or not. I would like to sell it and get a toolbox. So I can easily put stuff in the back. Guess I just want to weigh out the pros and cons.
  2. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

You can get boxes with partial covers too.
    I currently have a cap and am in process of shopping for a tonneau for spring summer.
    The AARE is on top of my list. Do you like yours?
  3. Dactyl

Dactyl Member

Yeah, I like it. Its nice. Solid piece of material. Looks good on the truck, paint matching. Good for locking big items up. Some say it increases mpg :neutral: I got a piece of wood across the back of the bed and keep all my **** between that and the tailgate. So its not sliding all around the bed. The worse thing is having something in the back and you go to open the tonneau cover and its all the way in the front. You cant get it from the sides because the covers in the way. I might be moving soon, so I dont know if the tonneau cover will be a good or bad thing.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Im more of a Nay person.. I have a Large tool box that mounts to the floor of my bed and a cover wouldnt work with it. Plus i haul stuff all the time and i dont like having to take it on and off the truck.. Just more sensable for me..
  5. mmorgan1865

mmorgan1865 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I've got the Undercover and I really like it. I don't work out of my truck so I only need a toolbox full of stuff. I carry more things that need to be kept dry so the cover works best for me. It comes off in a couple of minutes if I need to haul anything higher than the bed. :glasses:
  6. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have a Snugtop,I like the Hard Tonneau Cover's...The Color Matching,The Security and it will last the life of the truck,for me it does everything I want & need it to do.
  7. Dactyl

Dactyl Member

Here are some pics

Attached Files:

8. Dactyl

Dactyl Member

And a few more

Attached Files:

9. XS ive

XS ive Rockstar 100 Posts

Thanks for the pics Dactyl. :great:
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I like tonneau's because (on many trucks, anyway) they look better than a canopy, and can keep stuff dry. I would love a colormatched hard tonneau for this truck, but they are too expensive. I think for my next truck, I will get a BakFlip because it is solid, secure, and doesnt look bad, and it can be flipped up in front if you need to haul anything that is too tall.

My vote is to keep the tonneau. I say the convenience outweighs the problem of taking it off if you move.