1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tonneau covers

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TrailLeadr, Mar 2, 2007.

?

What kind of tonneau cover would you buy?

1. Single piece (hard)

24 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. Multiple piece (hard)

22 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Soft cover (with rail support)

53 vote(s)
    44.5%
  4. Soft cover (w/out rails)

11 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Custom made

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. I don't need or want a tonneau cover

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

this thread by NHSilverado,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4167
    got me thinking, and I'm wondering what everyone's preferences are regarding tonneau covers.

Would you install one?
    what kind? (multi-piece, single piece, hard or soft)

Myself, I've always liked the multiple piece units.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I will be buying this cover because it rolls up and the bows are flat instead of arched.
  3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Member 1000 Posts

That's pretty nice. I never liked the look of the arches popping through the cover. Kind of looking like ribs on some anorexic model.
  4. NHSilverado

NHSilverado Former Member

For me it is a 1 piece hard tonneau. I need something to protect the bed contents from the elements and it has to lock. I prefer the looks of a painted to match fiberglass one like I had on my HEMI Ram as I think it just ads so much to the appearance of the truck...

[​IMG]

BUT, FBG cover are very heavy and usually they can not be easily removed( some do allow the cover to come off the mounting system but most don't ). I need to be able to take my cover off when needed with minimal hassle and I want the cover to be lightweight. That is where the Undercover comes in. Very lightweight, easy to install/remove, and they are rugged. They also cost hundreds of $$$ less than a decent FBG cover which is another plus. The cover for my HEMI ran( MOPAR genuine accessories )ran me $900 and that was with a discount whereas the Undercover for my 05 Silverado cost me just $570( both covers brand new ).

They also look good too...

[​IMG]
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a Snugtop on my Toyota Tacoma and loved keeping things dry and locked up but was impractical at times when I needed to haul something taller than the bedrails. Mine was painted to match and looked awesome and did cost around $1k. I like the idea of rolling it up to get full use from the bed but also being able to cover the bed when needed. I helped my Father-in-law install a folding cover on his F150 but I did not like the way it mounted and when folded up it was still in the way.
  6. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey I had one of those ha ha ha. One of these days I'll dig up my drag racing days pictires it had a soft top. 120 mile an hour passes and never came off.
  7. GWAGON_99

GWAGON_99 New Member

I personally would only like one on an avalanche (the three piece hard one). They look good on some trucks but from a practical standpoint they hinder carrying large loads, and my logic is if you aren't going to carry a large load. Get a Yukon or Suburban!:biggrin:
  8. WilliamsZ71

WilliamsZ71 New Member

I have a GM (Fold-A-Cover) tonneau cover. It's a hard cover and it can open from either end. It also folds all the way back. Pretty good cover but old style had a better locking system on it then the new one.
  9. ctruhn

ctruhn New Member

This is something I just posted on another Tonneau cover post in another section, and I figure it would probably be best here so....

I see that some of you have posted links so the Retrax manufacturer site is http://www.rolltopcover.com/ Not the prettiest site in the world, but I love the product.

EDIT: So which poll option do I choose for this???
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

That retrax cover looks pretty cool. They should sponsor this site and I'd give them their own section in the marketplace.