Tonneau covers

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TrailLeadr, Mar 2, 2007.

?

What kind of tonneau cover would you buy?

1. Single piece (hard)

24 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. Multiple piece (hard)

22 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Soft cover (with rail support)

53 vote(s)
    44.5%
  4. Soft cover (w/out rails)

11 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Custom made

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. I don't need or want a tonneau cover

7 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

this thread by NHSilverado,
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4167
    got me thinking, and I'm wondering what everyone's preferences are regarding tonneau covers.

Would you install one?
    what kind? (multi-piece, single piece, hard or soft)

Myself, I've always liked the multiple piece units.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I will be buying this cover because it rolls up and the bows are flat instead of arched.

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That's pretty nice. I never liked the look of the arches popping through the cover. Kind of looking like ribs on some anorexic model.

4. NHSilverado

NHSilverado Former Member

For me it is a 1 piece hard tonneau. I need something to protect the bed contents from the elements and it has to lock. I prefer the looks of a painted to match fiberglass one like I had on my HEMI Ram as I think it just ads so much to the appearance of the truck...

[​IMG]

BUT, FBG cover are very heavy and usually they can not be easily removed( some do allow the cover to come off the mounting system but most don't ). I need to be able to take my cover off when needed with minimal hassle and I want the cover to be lightweight. That is where the Undercover comes in. Very lightweight, easy to install/remove, and they are rugged. They also cost hundreds of $$$ less than a decent FBG cover which is another plus. The cover for my HEMI ran( MOPAR genuine accessories )ran me $900 and that was with a discount whereas the Undercover for my 05 Silverado cost me just $570( both covers brand new ).

They also look good too...

[​IMG]

5. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a Snugtop on my Toyota Tacoma and loved keeping things dry and locked up but was impractical at times when I needed to haul something taller than the bedrails. Mine was painted to match and looked awesome and did cost around $1k. I like the idea of rolling it up to get full use from the bed but also being able to cover the bed when needed. I helped my Father-in-law install a folding cover on his F150 but I did not like the way it mounted and when folded up it was still in the way.

6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey I had one of those ha ha ha. One of these days I'll dig up my drag racing days pictires it had a soft top. 120 mile an hour passes and never came off.

7. GWAGON_99

GWAGON_99 Rockstar 100 Posts

I personally would only like one on an avalanche (the three piece hard one). They look good on some trucks but from a practical standpoint they hinder carrying large loads, and my logic is if you aren't going to carry a large load. Get a Yukon or Suburban!:biggrin:

8. WilliamsZ71

WilliamsZ71 New Member

I have a GM (Fold-A-Cover) tonneau cover. It's a hard cover and it can open from either end. It also folds all the way back. Pretty good cover but old style had a better locking system on it then the new one.

9. ctruhn

ctruhn New Member

This is something I just posted on another Tonneau cover post in another section, and I figure it would probably be best here so....

I see that some of you have posted links so the Retrax manufacturer site is http://www.rolltopcover.com/ Not the prettiest site in the world, but I love the product.

EDIT: So which poll option do I choose for this???

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

That retrax cover looks pretty cool. They should sponsor this site and I'd give them their own section in the marketplace.