1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tony Blair Announces He'll Resign In June

Discussion in 'Europe, Middle East and Asia' started by Cableguy, May 10, 2007.

1. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who a little more than 10 years ago became the youngest prime minister of the 20th century at age 43, announced on Thursday his plans to step down as the country's leader next month. He'll resign on June 27, making way for Treasury chief Gordon Brown to take his place. As the new Labour Party leader, Brown is expected to easily win the next election.
    In an emotional farewell speech at Trimdon Labour Club in his constituency of Sedgefield, Blair referenced the major issue that caused his popularity to tumble - his decision to follow the United States into war with Iraq. "Hand on heart, I did what I thought was right," Blair said. "I may have been wrong, but that's your call. But believe one thing if nothing else. I did what I thought was right for our country."
    The government has said it hopes to withdraw its troops from the front lines this year, which the public will no doubt be in favour of. As for how Blair will be remembered, many say his efforts in helping the poor, transforming the Labour Party, and bringing about an end to the troubles in Northern Ireland shouldn't be overlooked.
    The announcement from Blair came only two days after Northern Ireland formed a power-sharing administration, something he'd been working toward his whole political life.

[​IMG]