1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

NASCAR Tony Stewart hit Kevin Ward Jr. on dirt track - Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Not sure what to think about this. Wish the camera operator didn't zoom in or had panned to the right 0.5 second before Tony Stewart hit this poor kid. Such a total waste. Too bad the kid got out, but I'm not so sure that Tony Stewart didn't try to accelerate to kick some mud on on Ward .. but his car just got sideways and his back tire grabbed him and caused the massive injuries.

From how I see it, the only way that his rear-tire could have hit Kevin Ward Jr (and not the front tire first) is that Stewart gunned his engine at the last second. Otherwise, if he turned the wheel away then the vehicle would have followed. Those machines are designed to drift, and yes he should not have been out on the track, but that doesn't mean that you can run someone over just because they're running crazy out on the road.

VIDEO WARNING. If you've not seen this video, it's not bloody but it is very graphic and shows a 20-year old kid being run over by a vehicle driven by Tony Stewart.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

3. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I think its a sad , and the kid made a really bad choice walking into the flow of the track, you just don't do that. Having said this, Stewart does have a history of pushing people to the high side of the track causing problems, as well if you notice in the video, the cars are not having to run high thru the turn, yet Stewarts front wheels rotate to the high side pushing him and the kid high into the wall. I also noticed Stewarts wheels turning to the high side the moment before hitting the kid and killing him. I think the kid made a mistake in what he did, I also think Stewart ran over the kid with intent of pushing him a little, resulting in a death. I think its a case where Stewart went to far and will get away with another infraction that will add to his already tainted reputation. My worthless two cents.
  4. ChevyFan

Yeah, it was a bad call to run onto the track, no doubt about that at all ... but if a drunk fan runs out onto a baseball field and disrupts play, that doesn't mean that the batter can run up and bash him upside the head multiple times.

In the same vein of conversation, just because Kevin Ward Jr ran out onto the track doesn't mean that Tony Stewart can just flat out run him down. I'm not saying that he did, just in theory once you have a driver hit someone on foot you have to start asking different questions.

The question comes down to intent.

• Did Tony Stewart see Kevin Ward Jr. before he hit him?
    • If so, how far in advance did he see him?
    • If not was Ward hidden from Stewarts view because of the car in front of him that turned away last second?
    • We heard an engine rev just before impact, was that Stewart?
    • If it was, then did he try to intimidate him? (This is predicated upon him him being able to see him in advance)
    • Was he trying to get out of the way?
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

It does look like Tony went around him If he would have gone for him he would have side swiped the other way. But had to call..But true he should have stayed in his car.. It is sad..
  6. ChevyFan

I'll be interested in seeing if any other video footage is seen. Come on, this is 2014, 80% of the people there had cameras on them and at least some of them probably got some video of the event ... just maybe not like this. If I had caught this video myself I don't think I would have put it up on YouTube just like that out of respect for the Ward family, but would have contacted the police and downloaded it onto an sd card for them.
  7. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

IMO an investigation should go into whether or not he gunned it at the last second which is what it sounds like in the popular video going around when he was hit. If thats the case then Stewart should be held accountable. All the drivers must do there due diligence to not cause harm to other fellow drivers regardless of thier actions including someone angrily walking out on the track. If he gunned it at the last second then he seen him far enough in advance to avoid him. In most sports including Hockey, Football, Basketball ect they always look at the persons history of conduct and reputation to determine their possible state of mind during an incident and Nascar should be no different. If this was the case then I think Stewart would be in trouble. Why there wouldnt be a rule :rules:to remain in your car, unless a hazardous condition exists, not allowing you to remain in your car is beyond me. Ive read a lot of comments on this incident and it seems the popular opinion is that since he walked out into (Cautioned) traffic Stewart should not be held accountable. Ive heard others say the video has been doctored to sound like he gunned it. Others say he gunned it after he went by Kevin. (There would obviously be a delay in the sound we hear from what we see because of the distance between the camera and the incident.)

Well, time will tell what will take place but I bet Stewart will think twice about getting out of his car in a fit of rage again.
  8. ChevyFan

The more I think about it, the more that it doesn't look like Stewart saw Ward ... i mean, he got out of the car very quick, about 10 seconds by my count. Stewart went around another lap so he wasn't looking in the direction of Ward until he came back to that turn. Why would anyone expect for him to be able to get out of his car that quickly and be running at him on the track?
  9. squatchy

squatchy Member 100 Posts

My .02 is that Stewart probably didn't see him until the last second, but nobody but Tony knows and all the people that think he meant to intimidate the kid won't believe him if he said he didn't anyways. I think a big insight is to look at the car right before Stewarts and then Stewarts...they both make the exact same slight fish tail. Those cars steer more with throttle than anything, turn the wheel give it some gas thats how you get it to move in the direction you want. So with everyone and their mother saying he revved it up right before he hit him---that would be him trying to avoid a guy on the track...

And there is a rule, at every single level or racing, you don't get out of your vehicle on the track unless it is on fire. The kid broke that rule. It is said to them in every drivers meeting, ever race school, he probably heard it thousands of times in his life.
  10. the phantom

the phantom Active Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Yeah its really hard for any of us watching the video to come to a good conclusive opinion. Your right @squatchy nobody knows for sure except Stewart. You can almost gaurentee that we won't see Stewart get out of his car on the track hot headed again until he gets into the pits.