1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Too much slack in gear selector. Any solutions?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by rojoho79, Aug 16, 2010.

1. rojoho79

rojoho79 New Member

I'm rebuilding an 86 GMC with the 3 on the tree and can't seem to narrow down why there's so much slack in the shifter. The thing bounces around and falls out of gear all the time. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. Look at the linkage at the tranny and near the firewall, theres bushing that wear out. I think LMC has replacements.
  3. rojoho79

rojoho79 New Member

Thanks for the welcome/info. I'll have to take a look at that. I see you're in andalusia. I'm grew up in Jemison, Chilton County.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

I grew up down in central Florida but retired to Alabama.
  5. rojoho79

rojoho79 New Member

I graduated & joined the Marines in '97. After living every where else, I got married, she joined the Air Force & we're stationed here in Tampa now. No need or want to live anywhere else. My mom still lives up there & I visit occasionally. My dad bought my truck new in 1986 & after he died my brothers trashed it. Now that I'm back in the States for good, I took it from them and am working on getting it back on the road.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

Sounds like a good project since your dad bought it new.
  7. rojoho79

rojoho79 New Member

Ya, I'm hoping it'll be a father/son project for me & my kid. He's only 5 though and doesn't have much of an attention span unless it involves Legos, LOL. He'll sit still and watch for about 5 minutes but that's all I can get out of him.
  8. silveradotrailblazer

He'll catch on when he gets older and then you'll have fun with him and the truck.