Toolbox restoration

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by FrigginNoodles, Apr 26, 2011.

1. FrigginNoodles

FrigginNoodles Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

I have a Jobox brand toolbox that I have had for a few years. I am finally starting to remember why I put it on my old truck. I want to get my tools out of my back seat and keep the mess out of my cab. The box is in rough shape and there is what appears to be a clear coat flaking off the metal. I was wondering is this a clear coat? Could I peel this layer off and shine it up? Is there any way the box be cleaned up to look like new? Any tips or info on this would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mad1500hd

mad1500hd Rockstar 100 Posts

not sure if that's a clear coat or not...but i would take it to a line-x dealer and have them cover it up...that would look awesome...i'm just saying! :')

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It is an aluminum layer and or a chrome plating depending on the brand. I would have a line ex do it up, or else buy a new box, or just basically leave it as is, or last option is sand it down and paint it up yourself.

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X3 with the Line-X. We did try years ago taking a old toolbox (looked like yours) and sprayed a aluminum wheel cleaner on it and then scrubed it with a soft brush and rised with water. It took must of the old stuff off. Then we polished with aluminum wheel polish and it came out pretty good, not perfect but better than before. Test a spot first with the wheel cleaner before applying to the entire box.