1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Tools in your Garage - What do you have?

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ChevyFan, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Most of my wrenching tools are craftsman, some s-k, some oddball special stuff as needed. Also have a retired Mac tool man close by if there's something I need in a pinch.
    As an electrician by trade, my remaining "hand tools" are klein brand.
    Dewalt is my preference for power tools.
    Fluke is my brand of choice for test meters.
    BMW for my motorcycles.
  2. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had a ton of Dewalt tools, craftsman, and everything else under the sun, then my ex took them all in the separation:( I'm a truck girl without tools.. I am rebuilding slowly; got a new socket set, husky tool chest and Dewalt drill for my birthday... Nice! I'll get them back, bigger and better collection.. go big or go home..
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have absolutely zero brand loyalty -- specifically because most of the tools I have were gifts, inherited (across 2 generations, in some cases), or came from auctions (a wrench in a box of misc junk here, a screwdriver in another box there, etc), which my family and I go to fairly regularly. This actually makes it humourous, as I may have 4 13mm wrenches and no 11mm wrenches on hand. (That's an example of something that recently occurred. It's rare because I usually have too many tools, but it happens.)

This also means two things:
    1) The conditions of the tools I have varies a LOT. I personally take care of my stuff but other people don't, but I'm not going to throw out a perfectly good tool just because it has a little wear on it, you know?

2) When I go buy tools I'm always shocked by the prices ... because most of my tools have come very cheaply to me via the paths I previously noted. I'm talking anything from air tools to circular saws to drill presses (I have 3, lol... all different sizes).

To make it funnier -- I have tools but no shop. I recently moved cross-country for work so all my stuff is in my father's shop a few hours away ... making for even MORE tools. LOL
  4. TRANNY PRO

TRANNY PRO Member

My tools are a lot of SK, SNAP ON, CRAFTSMAN. Need good stuff cause I make my living with them.:sign0011:

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

If you like to swing wrenches & do your own work then keep building them up. He should have let you keep em. Did he really need em? LOL ERICA.:party:
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  5. marko54

marko54 Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

I lost almost all of my tools in the garage fire including mig welder and large Craftsman air compressor shown in the pic below. What ever didnt get destroyed was cleaned/washed by the salvage cleanup crew which caused everything to rust. slowly building up a tool inventory with craftsman, snap on and cornwell.

[​IMG]
  6. SurrealOne

Oh man that sucks. What caused the fire?
  7. marko54

This was caused by a ford product (Excursion) that self- ignited) while parked not running. Now you know why i'm a GM man for life.
  8. SurrealOne

Hopefully insurance had your back...
  9. marko54

They covered the Garage rebuild, entire house of siding and roof gutters etc. (attatched garage) most of the contents of the garage except for the classic
    1971 Ford Bronco thats was 75% restored. No insurance on it so i got nothing for it but at least my house was saved and was able to occupy it while the garage was rebuilt.

[​IMG]
  10. GMCErica

GMCErica Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I hear ya! He did it just to spite me, he moved into a basement apt, do you really need tools in a basement apt...??? " Hey dude, back my car into the basement, so we can pop the hood and work on the engine, cause you don't have a garage".. hahaha! ... I am building up my collection slowly again, getting some new Stanley hand tools and other ones that are on my list..It will be bigger and better...

-Sorry, about the fire.. Hope that there wasnt too much damage, to your home as well too..