Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Top End Build. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by JTx9, May 11, 2013.

1. JTx9

JTx9 New Member

I have decided, now that I only drive my big truck once a week or so, that it's time to finally make it my dream truck :happy:

My truck is an 05 sierra Z71. It came factory with 4.10 gears and the L33 engine which from my research is a pretty nasty engine, flat top pistons, 10.0:1 compression and a bigger cam than the other 5.3s and its an all aluminum block. I have been looking around all over the internet and found several top end packages and other goodie bundles. I have come to be fond of the Trick Flo packages, and an STS turbo kit. But is my motor the LS2 or LS1, or what ???? Will these kits work well with the turbocharger, or should I just build a kit from scratch?
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TFS-K305-455-425/ thats the trick flo kit I've looked at. I was wanting a cam with a little lower lobe separation for that choppy idle, of course I would get an EFI live tune. So anyone have suggestions on parts or performance shops in SC, NC or even GA that i could contact?
  2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Your motor is not an LS1 or LS2, It is an L33 and that's it. A true LS1 is a 5.7, and a true LS2 is a 6.0. Everyone calls the 4.8, 5.3 an LS1, but really they're not.

I would say that's a really good price, I got the same package from Lunati, minus the heads for $1,599. I decided to wait on the heads for later, as I'm going Whipple charger down the road.
  3. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Keep in mind the 6.0 Truck motor is the LQ4 or LQ9 depending on year. It certainly won't be an LS1 or LS2 (both car motors). The 99 models that had the 5.7 was an L31. That was still a 350 whereas the 5.7 LS1 displaced 346 or something like that. The truck motor ECMs are tuneable so tuning won't be a problem. Any reputable tuning shop will be able to deal with it. I know many guys have swapped 5.3s and 6.0s into classic cars and been able to utilize local tuning shops to tune their setups. I don't know about GA or the Carolinas (I know there are shops out there but don't know where) but I do know in East TN there are some very good shops to deal with. I'm sure there are in GA, especially in the Atlanta area. Probably also some very good shops in NC as well.

Good luck with your engine. Next motor for my burb will be old school SBC so I can't help you much outside of this.
  4. dobey

dobey Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

As was said, you don't have an LS1 or LS2. You have an L33 Vortec. The LS1 is 3rd gen, while the LS2 is 4th gen, though also somewhat of a hybrid between 3rd and 4th gen. Your L33 is almost certainly a 3rd gen block. And you probably do have the same 243 cast heads that are on the LS2 (and were on the LS6).

As far as all those designations go, the important thing is to make sure the heads you get match the ports on the intake you're using. You can stick with cathedral port for the stock intake, or if you're using a cathedral port FAST intake or something. Or if you want to upgrade the intake (probably will need injectors and rails as well, and possibly a TB or adapter plate), you could go with the newer square port heads on the 4th gen LS motors, or even LS7 heads with an LS7 intake. Those are the three port types for the intakes. The square port 4th gen heads, like on an LS3, can flow much better than the older 3rd gen cathedral port castings, even the 243 and aftermarket versions. But you'll also have to swap intakes and such to go with them.

If you really want to go with an STS kit on your truck, you might want to contact them first, before buying any heads or cam, to see what they recommend in terms of lift, compression, flow, etc… for their kits. Then you can figure out which of their kit options, and what heads, cam, intake, etc… will match up best for what you want.