Top Gear

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by MPC-Silverado, Nov 22, 2010.

1. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member

Did you guys watch topgear last night? I liked it alot. kinda new and different compared to all the other crap on Tv... tires of seeing pawn shops, people getting parking tickets, people buy empty storage units, hunting for treasures at old people homes, dancing with the stars, surviver lol
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

Ive been watching the BBC version for quite a while i wasnt home to watch the american version, i dont know how much ill like it since its a remake and the guys on the BBC version are a riot!!
  3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

What network is this on and what's it about? It sounds interesting......
  4. ajarman

ajarman New Member

I always watch Top Gear on the BBC and just don't think I can handle the US version either murdog. There is no replacing or competing with Jeremy, Captain Slow & Hampster! I have it DVR'ed but have not watched it yet. I will give them a try, but they will have to prove their selves.

As to the utter crap that is on cable these days, YES Top Gear is a great show. I am missing Bull Run!
  5. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

Been watching the British version since its been on BBC America, (some of you are aware I was born in England) I caught the U.S. version and it wasn't too bad. I believe the producers of the British version are involved with it. It looks very similar but after watching the original for so long it seemed a little weird. For those that don't know, Top Gear is a car show unlike any other, highlighted by Supercars that none of us can afford, insane challenges, irreverent politically incorrect humor, a "Star in a reasonably priced car" and once in a while a road test that is actually relevant. If you like British humor, better known as biting sarcasm, I highly recommend it!
  6. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member

i have seen the bbc one a few times. it was ok but british people i usually dont think are funny lol. idk y but they just dont make me laugh. For the people who like the bbc version the only thing i can say is pretend it has a different name and watch it as a new show not a knock off you will most likely like it more then
  7. murdog94

murdog94 New Member

BBC airs Top Gear on Mondays on BBC, and the American Version is on the history channel on Sunday nights.
    And yes Ajarman they are great. As to the supercars it is sweet to see just what can be done with what, and they dont just drool over the Ferrari's like just about any magazine here in America does.
    I am ALL ABOUT american made cars, and wont own anything else however, i like to see what the fastest car in the world can do etc.. And i HATE Ferrari's not just because the ARE incredibly expensive but also they have very very very very predjudicial selling practices. Meaning joe millionare cant just go to the showroom and buy a new one he has to be approved by Ferrari to buy a used one first and if he takes proper care of it then he may be allowed to buy a new one in 5 years. They would hate me if i had money i would be sue HAPPY with them, and i would buy a Ferrari to use as my "fishing" beater!!! Alright enough of me ranting about another brand i just cant stand..
    I love the show for the entertainment not so much for the relavance on the road such as the speeds and power that these cars are capable of. I want an R1 motorcycle and several of the vehicles they have tested would beat me in a standing 1/4mile STOCK!.. Also the humor, IE: the three wheeled car that they send Jeremy out in and all he does is roll it over as often as he can! It will be hard for them to beat that kind of off the wall still here in america where our closest competition to that is the Geo Metro.... So time will tell.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

Thanks for the explanations of the what the show is about and the networks. I will check out both....sounds like a pretty cools show.
  9. M35A2

M35A2 New Member

I only caught the park with the Viper vs the heli.....it would have been more realistic if they just hovered lol
  10. Z-71

Z-71 New Member

Top gear is AWESOME!
  11. stephan

stephan New Member

I have been watching the Brit version since it came on BBC America. A total riot, except I'm getting where I can't stand Clarkson anymore. He tries to act "too stupid" when in reality, he doesn't really have to act at all to accomplish it, ha ha.
    Did you guys see the "Winter Games" episode where they launched a Mini Cooper off the ski jump with "J.A.T.O." rockets strapped to the back of it? A must watch!!
    Thanks for the heads up on the U.S. version. I hadn't heard that it had been started yet. Who is hosting the US version?
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. HawaiiKid

HawaiiKid New Member

US version is a lot better than I had expected. I've been watching the BBC Top Gear for a long time, and I do agree that the US top gear isn't as good as the BBC version-YET. If you go back and look at the first couple seasons of the Brit TG, they were pretty terrible really-Jeremy, Hammond and James didn't click much. Already Adam and Rutledge are clicking, and teaming up against Tanner Faust (I've seen 2 episodes of Supercars on Speed, and both times I've wanted to punch Tanner in the face because he can be a annoying prick) so I think this show has great possibilities. I mean next week it looks like there is gonna be a blind guy being taught to drift by Tanner, things are lookin up :)
  13. stephan

stephan New Member

LOL Kid, I'd like to punch Tanner Faust in his pie hole too. I love it whan Paul Tracy kicks Tanners whining "silver spoon entitled ass", on the super car battles. LOL
  14. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 New Member

I didn't even realize that there was an American version. I've only ever seen the British version. For those of you who have Netflix, I believe Top Gear is an Instant Watch! So, you can watch to your heart's content. One of my favorite episodes is the special "Polar Special" where they build up a truck and attempt to race a dog sled to the North Pole. If I remember correctly, no vehicle had ever made it. They did.... eventually. Haha. It was good, though.
  15. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Moderator

Great suggestion on the Netflix....would have never thought to look there.
  16. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member

yeah next week tanner will be teaching a blind guy how to drive./.. pretty exciting
  17. bwhitt86

bwhitt86 New Member

I watch a lot of the original bbc top gear and was also very skeptical about a western version. I only caught about 10 minutes of it and couldn't handle it. Its a straight rip off of the original in. The way that the studio looks very similar and they have a stig which you can't really replicate the original stig. Plus it just seems like it wants to be the exact same. I think the history channel thought the show was popular just because of the cars and i know the reason i watch it mainly is for clarkson and hammond. The hosts make the show, i like the cars and even though they are completely against american car makers on most stuff they are very blunt and know their sayin what they actually feel. Plus its seriously just tue most entertaining show on television in my opinion. And the american host just seem real plain and fake. That's my opinion but i think the main reason people like you or me aren't gonna like it is because we have actually seen the original. People that haven't are more likely to probly like it. That's my swing on things.
  18. MPC-Silverado

MPC-Silverado New Member

i think the stig is the other guy from battle of the super cars... the guy is about the same size and wears the same suit
  19. bwhitt86

bwhitt86 New Member

I do agree that the Top Gear before the reboot and when May first joined for the first few seasons were pretty dull. They didn't do any of the awesome races and such they just did tests and acted like news reporters. I don't mind if they make an american version, but they didn't have to make an exact copy. It just annoys me that they have all the same things the original like having a stig that looks and acts like the "real" stig. I wouldn't mind if they had the same concept but what really really irritates me is that the studio is a replica all the way down to the metal lap time board. I may be just a little more bitter than i should be though. I mean can you tell me that im wrong about that. If your gonna make a show off of a classic wouldn't you want to have it be original in some sense? I don't know it just makes me annoyed but like i was sayin i am over reacting. But one thing is for sure, nobody can come close to being as awesome as Clarkson. I do like that instead of watching cars being reviewed that we over here had never heard of we can actually see cars that have the steering wheel on the right side of the car.
  20. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 New Member

It's not a rip off, the reason it is so similar is because the producers of the original version are involved in the U.S. version, I believe it is their goal to give viewers the same experience, but from a U.S. point of view. The British version won't work with "mainstream America" thus they created the version for the History channel. Judging by the first show it looks like they are going to do many of the things they've done before. Since I'm English I prefer the original, but since I live in the U.S. I'll give the U.S. version a chance, although it will be tough not to compare, you just have to keep in mind that both shows come from the same producers and are designed to fit their respective audiences