1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

top stud batteries?

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by 5speedsilverado, Jul 17, 2009.

1. 5speedsilverado

5speedsilverado New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

is their ant benefit from the vs what the stock battery is? other then the terminals what else would i need to do? and will it even work?
  2. zubbiez

zubbiez New Member 100 Posts

I cant say either is any better , but I myself run a optima battery with side and top post the only reason is I end up jump starting alot of equipment in the winter time and when its freezing out I dont like messing with the tiny conections on the side mounted terimals and I didnt want to change the terminals at the same time so kinda best of both worlds
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You can purchase adapter lugs. They bolt on like regular top lugs and are drilled and tapped to accept the side mount bolts. Or you can replace your battery cables. Either way it will work. There's nothing wrong with the side lug OE cables as far as performance goes. They are safer as the terminals are out of the way of tools and equipment.
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I want to eventually get a pair of batteries with both top and side lug posts. Keep the main power lugs for the truck side post and use the top posts for tieing the batteries together, isolation, electrical toys, etc. My biggest question is if I have the space vertically to fit a battery with top posts in my Suburban. It came with a side-lug battery from the factory; logic dictates there isn't enough vertical clearance in the spot it's in for top posts without shorting out against the hood. And the worst part is I have no clue how to measure the clearance I currently have to see if it will fit since the hood would have to be closed to determine the real vertical clearance.
  5. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork New Member

I prefer the top posts largely for more surface contact at the post.

I have a 99 Suburban and a top post fits fine.
  6. zubbiez

zubbiez New Member 100 Posts

I have the optima battery with side and top post in a 2000 silverado plenty of clearance but I think the optima is a bit shorter than a regular battery its diffenatley narrower.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I read a trade tech article a few years ago written by an engineer from the Optima battery company discussing factors of top post's vs side post's.

The outcome was that side post's were suitable for a stock starting system and to power accessories but if you upgrade the electrical system you should consider connecting to the top post because they're rated for a higher constant amperage (the internal connections are larger). They recommended you never hook mega watt stereo's or winches to a side post as they wont withstand the amperage load as well as the top post.

Optima had a service bulletin about 3/4 years ago, if you brought your battery to a participating dealer they would replace it, their batteries were having side post failure issues that killed the battery.
  8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Good point about stereos and winches Tim as well as if running dual batteries then the top post is the way to go.
  9. cascott325

cascott325 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i went with optima. has both top and side. good for when you put extras on your truck.