Torque Converter

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jnut, Mar 30, 2013.

1. jnut

jnut New Member

So the time has come to rebuild my transmission. I have an 03 Suburban that is all stock with the 5.3. In the future I will be doing some performance upgrades, but no real serious power. I also tow as well, usually just 2 or 3 four wheelers, but once in a while I do tow a heavy trailer and would like the ability to tow my Wrangler if need be, so I don't want to crazy on the torque converter and hurt my towing. Future upgrade plans are to maybe go with a ls6 cam and possibly a power programmer as well, but a least one or the other. Also most likely around 285/75/15 tires with a mild lift and depending on the driving with the larger tires, maybe 4.10 gears.

I have been looking at Circle D converters and the ones offered by Performa Built. Now I know if i hold the brake and throttle, that it gives me a stall of about 2000, but I also understand that can change with engine power and other variables. Also, I am reading that the converter companies use a standard base line to figure the stall speed, and that actual stall will vary with power and weight of the truck. I have been researching for a couple of weeks now, but everybody is talking about high stall speeds and I can't find any info on what would be a good stall to go with for my situation. I have read stories of guys that got a 3600 stall and it killed their towing and driving because it was too much for their needs.

So advice on what stall speed and any personal info on the different converters will be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

usually youll want you stall speed so it compliment your engine configuration... usually around your cam specs (power band). when I built my monte carlo SS.... I had a local custom shop help me and they built me a 2400 stall speed.... and a tranny to match. It was a perfect setup. If I were to upgrade my torque converter thats whatI would be leaning toward.

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Timtom your already at a 2600 stall believe it or not, 4l80e comes with the equivelant of a 2600 stall this is due to the weight of the truck.

Aftermarket stall converters are crazy expensive, the LS6 cam in a Silverado IMO would be perfect for a 3600 stall because of the heavy weight of the truck. When I had my transmission rebuilt last summer, the transmission guy completely rebuilt mine up to a 3,000 stall with a 224/560/112 lsa Lunati cam, whole top end rebuild. My truck weighs close to 4,000 lbs, street manners are excellent and It runs about 2,400 rpms on the highway with 4.10's, 35"s on 20"s.

Cost of convertor rebuild was $300.00 with all billet internals, and anti-ballooning plate. Your best bet is to go to a transmission shop, and see what options they give you for restalling your stock one unless It's burned up or damaged..

4. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

That's good info... if I ever rebuild I will step it up to a 3000. Of course with a rebuild Id be leaning toward 10 or 11 to 1 compression, new heads (ported, oversized valves, dual valve springs, etc), cower cam (just love their cams), roller rocker and lifters, performance crank and paired piston rods for the lower end. As you can see I've been debating it...:))) Right now with my current setup I have no complaints so it wouldn't happen unless something breaks... but if it did I'd be shooting for a 500 to 600 HP rebuild.