1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torque Convertor Not Locking Up 4l60e 95 K1500 sub

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by rdnkdrummer, Nov 29, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. rdnkdrummer

rdnkdrummer New Member

Hey y'all, I've seen a few topics that address this in different ways but none with the same basic symptoms as mine...all shifts nice and firm, but absolutely no lockup.

This is a used 4l60e with it's TC out of a mid 90's K1500 pickup. I just installed it as-is into my 95 K1500 Sub. All I did was replace front pump seal, change filter & fluid, & wash it off. Shifts great, but no lockup whatsoever.

I checked all the electrical connections & read alot...so it looks like I need to plug up the scanner & make sure the PCM is sending a lockup command?

And if it is, I need to replace the TCC Solenoid, right? Sounds easy enough...someone tell me if I'm wrong here... Please and thank you :)
  2. rdnkdrummer

rdnkdrummer New Member

Bumping this...upon further investigation:

No transmission codes, no engine codes, PCM is sending Lockup command. Fluid level good, color nice & red & new smelling.

Still great shifts...no lockup whatsoever. Help Please!!

Any further thoughts?
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I'm drawing a blank here... Just replying so you don't start thinking that we are ignoring you! (plus a free bump-ola)
  4. dpeter

dpeter New Member 100 Posts

How does one tell whether the TC has locked up or not? For sure, without guessing.
  5. rdnkdrummer

rdnkdrummer New Member

I can only speak to 700-R4 and 4L60E transmissions. But basically the process goes like this when it's working correctly:

Starts in 1st gear, shifts to 2nd, shifts to 3rd, then lockup, then 4 (OD). It will feel like 4 separate shifts if your transmission is set up and working correctly.

Ways to check if Converter is locked up:

• When cruising at highway speed in 4 (OD), while you still have your foot on the gas, barely touch the brake pedal. The RPM's should jump up a few hundred. This is the converter un-locking. If RPM's don't go up, it's not locked up.
    • If you know you're in 4 (OD) and the RPM's go up without downshifting when you're climbing a hill, the converter is not locked up.
    • When it's locked up, your transmission should feel like a normal stick shift would, you can just "tell" the transmission is locked to the engine RPM, no torque converter slush/slip when climbing hills, accelerating slowly, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm gonna replace the TCC solenoid and see where that gets me. Will update :)