1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torque Management?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by OrdieRed, Nov 4, 2008.

1. OrdieRed

OrdieRed New Member

Im new to this site. I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 2wd Stepside. It has a 4.8 in it. I just heard about Torque Management and I was wondering if I could get a better answer on what exactly it is. Also Im wondering if and how I can get rid of it? Im thinking a programmer......? Thanks. :neutral:
  2. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

Where in VA are you? There is a tuner in Northern VA that is good. Blackbear Performance. He can do whatever you want.
  3. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab New Member 1000 Posts

so what is torque managment?
  4. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

Page 34 starts talking about it. Hope this helps. I am not good at explainging stuff so I googled and found this

[media]http://vehicle.berkeley.edu/Publications/EC/lamberson_ms_thesis.pdf[/media]
  5. RockHead

RockHead New Member ROTM Winner

6. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Here is a post buy Mike Litsch from DiabloSport from GM-Inside news forum on Torque Management

"Torque managent is basically GM's way of putting an end to the fun before it gets started. There are several different scenarios that bring TM into play. Among these are 'abusive launches' and WOT upshifts/downshifts. When TM is enabled, the PCM thinks you are being abusive, and either pulls timing or closes the throttle body on ETC trucks to kill power. You may drive forever without ever realizing what TM is or does, until you experience a vehicle back-to-back with the TM removed....major difference. Suddenly wheelspin is available at low speeds and WOT upshifts feel much stronger and will produce wheelspin as well. Applying the tunes we make available improve the throttle response in these electronic throttle body vehicles drastically...if you command WOT with your right foot, you get WOT, not what the PCM feels like giving you!

In regards to discussion of a 'delay' in power coming on, some of these GM trucks actually do have a lengthy delay before the PCM will allow you to go into power enrichment mode, meaning you are missing out on alot of acceleration. We recently tested an 07 VortecMax on our dyno, and besides the 25rwhp gains up top, we saw as much as 20rwhp and 25-30(!)ft/lbs of torque between 2500-3500rpm as a result of reducing the PE delay time.

Hope I was able to shed some light on this stuff for you guys...lemme know if you have any other questions."

Thanks
    Mike

Mike Litsch
    Diablosport inc.
    561-908-0040x1

I Hope this helps.

7. CarpenterGuy

CarpenterGuy New Member

It sounds like a free class down at the rec. center.
  8. OrdieRed

OrdieRed New Member

Im stationed in Va. Beach but I drive home to Manassas every other weekend to see family.

Thanks everybody for the feedback. So there is or isn't a way to get rid of the TM?
  9. Stouffer

Stouffer New Member

A tune will get rid of some or all of it if you want. I have 75% of it turned off. Contact Justin at Blackbearperformance.com and he can set you up with this as well as just making the truck a whole new machine.
  10. OrdieRed

OrdieRed New Member

Thank you!