1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

torque steer

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by hbfsbull, Jan 2, 2010.

1. hbfsbull

hbfsbull Member

i noticed that when my truck is in auto 4wd and i accelarate hard the steering wheel pulls from left to right . any ideas on what causes this or how to fix it
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Sounds like traction control, or lack of traction control.
    I'd be more worried if it only pulled to one side.
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'd have to find the page I copied from Mitchell to get specifics. In 4A, it uses a feature they call "torque anticipation." Under hard acceleration from a stop, it "anticipates" the possibility of the wheels slipping, and sends power to the front. The "jerking" your feeling could be from the front wheels slipping (are they spinning when it does this?). If you have traction control, that could also be contributing, as the brakes are applied to control the front spinning. All of these explanations depend on the conditions being right for the front end to spin. Mine doesn't do anything funny if the front wheels don't spin.

Does it do it in 4H or only in 4A?
  4. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

every truck will do this just like a front wheel drive car will if you are mashing it in 4wd, you shouldnt be accelerating that hard in 4wd anyway, it will fail quicker especially when using 4wd auto, you are essentially binding it up as the tires are momentarily spinning and then the computer is engaging the 4wd.
  5. hbfsbull

hbfsbull Member

it doesnt seem to be as bad in 4h . Im not mashing it just about quarter throttle . if its on snow and the wheels can slip it doesnt do it just on pavement when the wheels have traction