1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

torque without a wrench

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by 9191gmc, Jun 24, 2013.

1. 9191gmc

9191gmc Rockstar

I need to torque some hub bolts on a Toyota car to 70 lbs. I only have a breaker bar.No torque wrench.
    Can someone describe what 70 lbs will feel like with the bar??
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

how long is the breaker bar??? if it is around 18 inches long, I would say almost no pressure is 70 lbs. Personally I would never torque any wheels less than 80 ft. lbs. myself. with a bar of that length any pressure you put on it will more than likely overtorque it.
  3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You can get a 1/2" drive torque wrench from Harbor Freight for under $25 right now. Quite often they go down to $20. While it's not the best quality, it's fine for most work and worth the money.
  4. Nitro_Alltrac

Nitro_Alltrac New Member

If you check on line, you can probably find some Harbour Freight coupons. There is usually a 20% coupon floating around out there.