Torque Wrenches, what do you recommend and why?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Jan 14, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

So I have been looking at getting 2 torque wrenches..... one in inch pounds and one in foot pounds.

I hear mixed reviews on different brands and different types. I was also told to stay away from any of the electronic ones because you never and any idea if they are truely calibrated correctly, and they are expensive.

So aside from that, what have you used, how do you like it and is it easy to keep it in calibration? I was thinking about going with a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch drive. I was also told that if you always set the torque setting back to "0" you should not have to worrie about getting them re-calibrated.

Any information would be great....

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

actually the bring it down to the min can make it less acurate you should keep it at a medium torque. and most inch pound are 3/8 and alot of the foot pound ones are 1/2

3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I have craftsmen for both. I have had them for a while with no issues. I would say stay away from the Harbor Freight garbage. If you are using a torque wrench you want it to be right so spend a little cash and get a good one.

4. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

I have a few of each in my toolbox. My 3/8 1/2 and 1 inch are all Proto. Expensive? Yes but I also have some from Harbor feight that carry the same warranty and when tested against the others they are fine. Expensive? No

5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

my dad and brother both have craftsman ones and have had no issues.

Alex

6. Coach24

I do have a couple craftsmen and they are old. But they are still very reliable and I got them very cheap at an estate sale a few years back.
    Just gotta look at your budget and decide where you wanna go. If you arent going to use daily then go for Habor or Craftsmen

7. dedmon27

dedmon27 Rockstar 100 Posts

You need both foot and inch lbs wrenches. I have all craftsman, Rebuilt three motors that are still running. I always take mine down to minimum, was told by a snap on dealer thats the best way to store them. I have both 1/2 and 3/8 drives.

8. Coach24

you see a snap on guy telling a craftsmen tool owner. that is good customer service lke we had in the old days

9. kburb

kburb Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

I have a Gray Tool 1/2 drive wrench for the big stuff and a KD Tool 1/4 drive that is in inch lbs fro setting up diffs. Gray is a old tool manufacture and has been around since 1912, i paid for it but it has lasted and has never let me down. Gray put in their instruction booklet to return to zero or lowest setting after use as well as the KD Tool.

i would suggest buying a name brand and spend the money on a good one cause a lifetime tool warranty will not replace engine that came apart or the ring and pinion the exploded.

i guess you can say that you will get what you pay for, but thats just me.

10. peanutbuttersports

peanutbuttersports New Member

i swear by Harbor Freight Brand

I've never broke anything
    feels super accurate

I've broke snap on and SK brand ones before but never broke the HF brand