1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torque

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by blacksilverado07, Feb 25, 2008.

1. blacksilverado07

blacksilverado07 Rockstar

what would be a good performance part for my silvero 2007 classic to gain more torque i already have an exhaust and k&n air intake
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Have you thought of a programmer?
  3. blacksilverado07

yea but for 400 i wanna make sure a programmer is the best thing cause my truck is a v8 5.3 with 22's so the rims slow it down
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You're probably mostly worried about rear wheel torque. What gear ratio are you running? For that matter, what's the overall diameter of those tires? Sometimes the best mod for increasing torque is the final gear ratio. For example, if you regear from 3.08 to 4.11, you'll get a 33% increase in torque.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

New rear gears would be the best thing. With the added unsprung weight and height of 22's and new tires your facing the same problem 4x4's face when they add larger tires.
  6. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Depending on what gears you have now that should be your first look. Also long tube headers can increase torque as well.
  7. blacksilverado07

i have no idea what gears i have but how and where can i get them
  8. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would first find out what gears you have. If you still have the original gears that came from the factory, you can look on your RPO code list in the glove box and look up the code (look for a Gxx code) in any of the RPO code lists on the internet. If you're not certain if you have the original gears, you'll have to either open the differential and count the teeth on the ring and pinion (gear ratio = # teeth on the ring gear/# teeth on the pinion gear) or count rotations of the driveshaft per rotation of the tires.

You can buy R&P's through many parts stores, or on-line retailers. Put differential ring and pinion into your favorite search engine and you shouldn't have any trouble finding vendors. If you decide to consider this seriously, you might consult with whoever will be doing the installation as to where he/she gets them. I'm guessing from your question that you've never worked much inside a diff, and setting up gears is not a job for a novice or the faint of heart.