1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torsen/TrueTrac vs PosiTrac in the rear diff

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by this end up, Apr 14, 2010.

1. this end up

this end up New Member

Yes I’m a noobie, and yes my second post is a question.

I did some searching and only found a few threads listing TrueTrac and PosiTrac as potential replacements for exploded G80s. If my question has been addressed somewhere please let me know.

I’ve got a 2004 Silverado 1500 4x4. The rear diff is open (no G80) and has a 10 bolt cover (8.6” I believe). I’m looking for better traction on snowy/icy roads and for occasional light off-roading and plan to install some sort of limited slip in the rear diff. I like TrueTrac’s claims of being low maintenance, basically install and forget. However I can’t find any reports on how they actually work long term in the rear diff of a full sized pickup. I’ve found articles where people put TrueTrac in the front diff with a locker in the rear.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with TrueTrac in the rear diff and any insight on how it would work compared to PosiTrac.

Thanks.
  2. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

Torsen was a popular unit added to camaros/firebirds...have a better rep than the gov bomb G80
  3. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

The only drawback to the truetrac over a normal limited slip or locker is that the truetrac needs a little bit of traction on the slipping wheel in order to engage. If you're hung up on a snowbank, or on some off road trail with one wheel coming off the ground, it won't work. For normal street driving they do work and don't require any special maintenance.
  4. Jacqson

Jacqson Rockstar 100 Posts

Maybe look into a selectable like an Eaton Elocker or ARB. One of the good things about a selectable is that you can engage and disengage the unit anytime you want extra traction. When these are locked they are a true locker, when unlocked you will have an open diff.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The True-Trac has a great reputation, and is perfect for a truck driven in snow. I will be installing two in my plow truck. You sometimes have to cheat with the brakes to get it to engage but no big deal.

Way better than a Gov Bomb.

As for durability, I have a friend with a True-Trac in the rear of his 2500 with a souped up 496. It was his first choice for a diff.

An E-Locker or ARB is great, but expensive.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

torsen/truetrac vs positrac in the rear diff

I DESTROYED two torsens in less than four months in my Suburban.