1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

torsion bar adjustment

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by badbowtie12, Nov 11, 2008.

1. badbowtie12

badbowtie12 New Member

im trying to figure out if it is at all possible to "crank" up the torsion bars on my 02 silverado to make it level and fit possibly 33 inch tires on it. any feedback let me know
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Pick up a front end leveling kit for about 200 bucks. You NEED the torsion key or a spacer.
  3. retired

retired Rockstar 100 Posts

The most you can get out of cranking up the torsion bars is maybe an inch.
  4. badbowtie12

badbowtie12 New Member

which brand do you recomend? i seen that readylift.com has them for like 229.00, but then they say you should install blocks in the rear for towing reasons. i dont plan on towing anything with my truck, strictly for show and play.

will adjusting the torsion bars affect the ride of my truck or throw it out of alignment.
  5. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Adjusting the torsion bars will give you a little bit of extra room in the front, it will affect the ride (it's like putting in stiffer springs) and you will need an alignment. For one full turn of the bolt on the torsion key, you get approximately 1/4 inch of rise. It has been suggested to not go more than 1 1\2 inches or you may run into geometry problems with the A-arms, cv axles, etc.
  6. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ready lift is just fine. I have not heard that you should add blocks in the rear. The point of a leveling kit is to level ot out. It would be redundant to lift the rear after leveling the front.
  7. 64C10

64C10 Member

8. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Here is another LINK for a leveling kit that is adjustable.
  9. raiderman8112

raiderman8112 Rockstar

alittle off topic but whats a recommended tire size for adjusting the torsion bars 1"? id like to add alittle bigger tire under my truck when i need new tires and i am thinking about bfg all terrains for alittle more of an aggressive look.
  10. Innundo

Innundo New Member

I don't know if my size would fit you, but it gave me a lil bit of a bump?

I run BFG's 285/75R 16... its about 32.8 inch diameter... roughly 11 inches wide.
    Stock tire was 245/75R 16 I believe?