Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Torsion bar cranking 2004 Suburban

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by domano 68, Feb 5, 2014.

1. domano 68

domano 68 New Member

New to the Suburban world. Just picked up a 2004 2wd 1500. Would like to level it to accommodate 285/70/17 tires. Before I purchase a leveling kit I wanted to see if just cranking the stock keys 1" would allow for this size tire on the front? I assume this size would fit fine with no lifting in the rear?

The truck has 100k on it and the torsion adjusting bolts are quite rusty. Is there a good potential here for these bolts to snap and approx how many turns to get about an inch higher in the front? Thanks in advance.

2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

that size should fit the rear fine. As far as the front there usually is enough to crank the torsion bars, but you also mess with the firmness and a little of the front geometry when you crank the torsion bars. I dont remember how much you get out of each turn. Alot of the leveling kits are just new torsion keys which are typically cheap to get and have installed.

3. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Your best bet is to soak the bolts with PB Blaster for 24hrs. Then right before you adjust them, give them another shot. Measure to the bottom of wheel well from the ground before you start for a reference. You may want to loosen them a bit to make sure threads are clear before cranking them up.

4. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Soak with a good penetrating oil and mark the hex head of the bolt adjuster before making any adjustments. You want to count how many turns you crank the adjuster so you can put it back the way it was if you are not happy.

5. Bowtieloyal

Bowtieloyal New Member

I leveled my 2003 4wd burb last year and it has done fine. The only dilema is that after you crank it up with the size tires you are putting on your gona want to go bigger. Makes the rig look good but leaves a lot of wheel well empty