1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torsion bar removal problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by WYLE E COYOTE, Jul 20, 2009.

1. WYLE E COYOTE

WYLE E COYOTE New Member

Hello. I am new to this site and I have a question so I hope this is the right spot to ask. I have a 2002 2500HD chevy ex-cab with the 6.0 engine. I have the new torsion key leveling kit to put in it. I have the special tool needed to remove the tension from the bars. with the tension removed, I can not get the bars to slid out. The torsion bars seem to be rusted in. I have been soaking them in PB Blaster twice a day for a week and still no luck. I have pounded the heck out of it too. Any one have an idea what I can do to get the torsion bars out?
    Thanks.
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Did you unload them all the way? Try removing one of the shock bolts. That will take all the tension off. Once the tension is off drive the bar forward with a drift and the key will fall out.
  3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I soaked mine with PB Blaster for several weeks and they still wouldn't come out. I didn't want to pay a shop to do the work so I kept soaking them for almost 6 months, I tried almost every other week to get them out and they wouldn't budge. Finally broke down and took it to a truck repair shop on town. They got them out after 6 hours. The mechanic said it took a hydraulic press, heat and a big a$$ sledge to free them. I know now I couldn't have gotten them out on my own especially after my buddy took them his 04 and it took just over 4 hours to get his out. His is 5 years newer and they were already rusted in that bad. Good ol michigan winters will do that!!! Good luck with yours!