1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torsion Bar Rusted Troubles

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by gfitzge33, Aug 12, 2009.

1. gfitzge33

gfitzge33 Member

hey guys,
    okay, trying to put a leveling kit (new torsion keys) on my 99 silverado. but after ten years of driving the bars look to be rusted into the keys. worked on them for many many hours today, trying to get them free so i can slide them forward. but they just really do not want to cooperate with me. i already have the tension off the key and the bolt and holding nut out of the way. i have tried everything in my knowledge to get it, but i need any tips on what i should do. thanks for any suggestions.
  2. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

3. tattooed4life

tattooed4life Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Try using a torch to heat the old keys that way they will expand. This may help in getting enough "play" to remove them. I also gave up on mine after many hours of struggling, gave in to the local mechanic. He had a whole day of labor and swearing to get mine in.
  4. gfitzge33

gfitzge33 Member

thanks for the replies guys, although i have already tried both of those ideas and they also failied. i think i am at the point of taking it to a mechanic as well. i already have about 20 hours into it and basically have nothing done. but again thanks for the ideas.
  5. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

THIS may sound drastic but its not that bad and worth every moment of extra work.drop the lower ball joint.. disconect shock,loosing the castle nut till its flush with bolt beat the crap out of the knuckle(look for the flat spot cast in) and the torsion will pop it apart then take the wieght wuith jack to remove nut let the lower arm dangle and tor. bar will slide out
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That actually sounds like a good idea.
  7. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

My 03 had the same problem, just wondering if you got them off or took it to a shop.
  8. chevyrocker

chevyrocker New Member

used an air chissle on mine and had no problem pushing them forward after pb blasting them
  9. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 Member 100 Posts

Air chisel worked for my 03 as well