1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torsion Bars or Anti-sway bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by JungleJim, May 29, 2013.

1. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I have a 2004 1500 burb that I lifted with a 3" SkyJacker suspension lift. It has alot of roll to it when travelling on country roads. I live in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia and the roads are pretty curvy. I was wondering if there is an aftermarket solution to make it more stable. And BTW, what is the difference between torsion bars and anti sway bars?
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

the torsion bar is part of your front suspension, you can tighten it to lift the front if your truck but itll make a rougher ride.
    anti sway bars are just that... they keep your vehicle from swaying during turns.

solution:?
    1) replace all your rubber bushing with poly bushings (sway bar bushings, leaf spring bushings, body mount bushings, control arm bushings, etc.)
    2) add an anti sway bar to the rear of your suburban (hellwig, addco, etc.)
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

As said above a Rear Anti Sway bar from Hellwig, Hotchkis , Addco and a few others will help alot You can get longer endlinks to work with them too..
  4. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Well, That helps me out!

Thanks for the info.... It's niCe to get good answers when I'm an ignoramous about suCh things. BTW, the lower Case C doesn't work on my keyboard.
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

When the SkyJacker lift was installed were the factory Sway bar set-up reconnected?
    And did they use longer links or just rotate the swaybar up to connect?
    Could be as simple as correcting an issue created by the lift kit.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

He might not have a rear factory Sway bar..
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

True but if they rotated the front sway bar itll agravate the situation.
    Its common to rotate the sway bar with many lift kits under 4", longer links are normally an option that most people dont understand the purpose of.
    The orientation of a sway bar is very important.