1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torsion Bars

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by $ilverado, Apr 24, 2009.

1. $ilverado

$ilverado New Member

im trying to tighten the torsion bars on my 2000 Chevy silverado 1500.

i dont know much about suspension so if anyone can tell me what torsion bars are and where can i i find them. maybe a nice pic with the torsion bar circled :)

also how high can i tighten it before it gets unsafe and dangerous for the truck?

thank you
  2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

Why do you want to adjust the torsion bars?

They run from the lower front control arm to the center frame cross member. There is 1 adjustment screw for each bar. Turn clockwise to tighten(raise) and counter clockwise to loosen(lower).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_bar
    A torsion bar suspension, also known as a torsion spring suspension or incorrectly torsion beam, is a general term for any vehicle suspension that uses a torsion bar as its main weight bearing spring. One end of a long metal bar is attached firmly to the vehicle chassis; the opposite end terminates in a lever, mounted perpendicular to the bar, that is attached to a suspension arm, spindle or the axle. Vertical motion of the wheel causes the bar to twist around its axis and is resisted by the bar's torsion resistance. The effective spring rate of the bar is determined by its length, diameter and material.
  3. $ilverado

$ilverado New Member

i want to adjust my torsion bars becuase my front enf of my truck sit noticbly lower then the rear. i have a brush gaurd and fog lights and other etc weight on the front fo my truck that make it lower.
    by adjusting the torsion bars. and making them tighter. then i heard i can raise my truck 1.5 to 2 inch max. and that will even it out with the back.
    i know they are somewhere located in the front suspension on each side, but i ahve no idea where. im looking for a picture.
  4. A1CMason

A1CMason New Member

I think the best best that you are looking for to lift the front end up, is to get a leveling kit for the front end...They are torsion bar keys that will raise the front end a good 2 to 3 inches. There are many brands out there including pro comp, ready lift, and tuff country.. I myself have a procomp leveling kit and it works well, and not too expensive.. On the downside it can make your ride a little rougher, and u will also have to get ur front end realigned...but you can fit up to a 33" tire after ur done..
  5. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts

I did a pro comp level kit and put on bilstein shocks - its the best ride yet!
  6. silvertruck

silvertruck New Member

if you put in one of those leveling kits where they replace the torsion bar key, will it make some parts wear out and break faster? i heard that by just tightening your torsion bars it can cause the CV joints to wear out alot faster
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  7. A1CMason

A1CMason New Member

Im not sure on tht, but other people on the site may know a lil more thn i do..I know alot of people on the site have the level kits on there trucks
  8. $ilverado

$ilverado New Member

you dont have to buy torsion bar keys..
    all i heard u need is a 18MM bolt and with enough elbow grease its same as "torsion keys"
  9. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Cranking up the torsion bars will give you an inch at best and will make the front end "lively" to say the least, if you really want to gain 2.5 inches of lift and have decent ride quality replace the stock keys with an aftermarket leveling kit. Here are pics of torsion bar and torsion key and adjuster bolt, your key and bolt will look a little different because mine are from a Pro Comp leveling kit. A word of caution! the torsion bars support the weight of the front end of the truck, which means they have an enormous amount of stored energy. If you are going to attempt to adjust your stock bars lift the truck and set it on jack stands, if you try to adjust with the wheels on the ground you will likely break off the bolt. The reason I say this is because you "heard" all you need is a "little elbow grease", trust me if you don't know what you are doing you can get seriously hurt. Good Luck :glasses:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  10. bry2500

bry2500 New Member 1000 Posts

Torsion keys are indexed differenlty in order to remain safe after the adjustment. if you add longer bolts and "crank" them you are changing the dynamics of how the key was designed to work. That is why the reengineered keys keep the ride somewhat reasonable after adjusting. Also if you look at bolt it sits in a pocket on the key. over adjusting a longer bolt can put horizontal stress on the bolt which inturn will cause the bolt to bend or even sheer off.

If your going to modify your truck it is in your best interest to do it properly even if you have to save over time to afford the proper equipment.