1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torsion bars

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Jackson636, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Jackson636

Jackson636 New Member

I know this question has been asked a thousand times but how many turns will be safe to try to level out my 2003 1500 z71? Thanks
  2. wkndrcr

wkndrcr New Member

I wouldnt be afraid to crank it all the way in until the bolt bottoms out. If you were to buy an aftermarket "leveling" kit with new torsion bar keys they are "clocked" different than the stock ones to add even more twist to the torsion bar then a maxed out adjustment bolt. Just keep in ind the ride will get alittle rougher.....
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Every truck is differant. Before you start take a measurment from the front wheel center hub to the top of the fender on both sides. Make a note of these measurments incase you don't like the ride after you make adjustments you can return to stock settings. On most trucks 1 complete turn of the adjuster bolt is good for 1/4" in lift. Its best to have the trucks front end lifted off the ground when making adjustments.Its a pain in the as* to keep lifting the front off the ground, but thats the best way to do it.After each adjustment drive the truck a few miles to let the front settle in and make adjustments as needed.
  4. Jackson636

Jackson636 New Member

Thanks, I've heard some horror stories about tightening the bolts to much and that it can cause problems. Is it common for things to break after you raise it up?
  5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Not incredibly.. If you put on larger tires you might experience faster wear of the ball joints and parts like that. Oh and you will most likely want an alighnment Just to keep everything in check.
  6. Jackson636

Jackson636 New Member

Well I was planning to throw on some 285 70 17's because the 245s arent cuttin the mustard.
  7. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

with that size of tire you should be alright just be sure to keep an eye on the ball joints etc..
  8. Sam_A

Sam_A Rockstar 100 Posts

I just bought my 03 2500HD a couple of weeks ago and it's torsion bars were maxed out. I loosened them 2.5 turns to soften the ride and it rides a lot better and the truck still looks great.

I also had played with the torsion bars on my 04 Z71 to lift the front when I added the 285/75/16s and had no problems. Silveradotrailblazer made an excellent point. Make sure you record the measurements before you make any adjustments. I didn't do that when I adjusted my Z71 and it took me longer to get it exactly how I wanted it (I kept changing my mind on how high I wanted the front, lol).
  9. Jackson636

Jackson636 New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Truck looks good. Hows the ride?