1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

torsion bars...

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by TrailFiend, Dec 29, 2007.

1. TrailFiend

TrailFiend New Member

i have a 99' tahoe 4wd, and i want to crank the torsion bars in the front about a inch. how do i go about doing this? do i need any special tools? thanks
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You know this will affect your alignment and you could possibly need to get the front end aligned to prevent excessive tire wear.

Measure from the ground to the center point of the wheel opening, do this on both sides of the truck. Write this measurement down, note left and right measurements they may be slightly different.
    Chock the rear wheels.
    Lift the front of the truck with a jack and place it on stands.
    Look underneath, at about where the front seats are you should see a bracket attached to the frame rails it has a rod attached that goes to the front suspension. These rods are the torsion bars, there's a large bolt on the bracket running through a cam, this is the torsion bar adjuster.
    Make a reference mark on the torsion bar adjuster so you can return it back to your starting position if you need to. When moving the bolt keep track of how many turns you move it.
    Tightening the bolt lifts the front suspension, loosening lowers the front suspension.
    Tighten the bolt some, lower the truck, bounce the front suspension to settle, then re measure using the original spots. Compare your measurements to see if you achieved the height you wanted. If not repeat the procedure until you get the lift you want.
    For the other side you can tighten the adjusting bolt the same amount of turns you did the first side then measure it to check for a level stance.
    Dont worry if one adjuster takes a turn more or less than the other to achieve the same stance this is common especially after the torsion bars have gotten worn.
    The torsion bar bolt should be about an inch and a quarter (dont remember the metric size for it).
    Use a wratchet wrench and a long cheater bar it'll make things easier.
    Spray the adjusters with PB blaster or something similiar a little while before working on them to help break them free.
    I wouldnt recommend trying to tighten the adjusters with the front suspension sitting on the ground, you'll be lifting the whole sprung weight of the vehicle.
  3. TrailFiend

TrailFiend New Member

thanks for the info, but if its gonna screw up my alignment, i wont worry about it. ill just wait and get a lift in a few months.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yea, if your tires arent rubbing right now leave it be.
    When you put the new lift on it'll have to be aligned again. Most lifts will have new alignment shims and bushings (which evers required) in the kit.
    Are you gonna lift it yourself or have a shop do the work.