1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Torsion key removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by 05DuramaxLLY, Apr 7, 2014.

1. 05DuramaxLLY

05DuramaxLLY New Member

Hey everyone I know some people on here have put leveling kits on their trucks and I was wondering if anyone has had their torsion key's stuck on the torsion bar? I have run into that issue on my truck and I have gotten the passenger side off but the driver side is rusted on and doesn't want to budge. I have tried heating it and spraying it with some rust penetrating spray but yet its stuck still. I would remove the whole cross member but its riveted onto the frame. If anyone has any tips or tricks that could help I would greatly appreciate it because beating the crap out of it with a sledge hammer and pin just isn't doing the trick. Thanks
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

*bump*****
  3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

Air hammer worked on mine... not fun when they've had a few years to rust on.
  4. 05DuramaxLLY

05DuramaxLLY New Member

I actually tried that again tonight and still no luck. I've been soaking the torsion key in pb blaster and I have been trying to get the drivers side out since sunday. How bad would it be for me to cut a square out of the cross member to pull the whole torsion bar and key out to set it on the ground to get it off and weld the cross member back together? Cause i'm not seeing many other options.
  5. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I wouldn't recommend cutting the crossmember. You would not want to weaken the structure. I had trouble with one of mine when I changed them. I ended up beating it out with rebar by driving the torsion rod out of the key using the crossmember as the stop for the key if that makes sense. You may already have been doing it that way. But that worked on mine. Also on reassembly I coated mine with a bit of red and tacky grease in case I need to remove them again.
  6. 05DuramaxLLY

05DuramaxLLY New Member

Well fantastic news everyone! Out of pure luck and some heat on the torsion key I FINALLY got the torsion bar out! I will be getting my shocks in tomorrow so ill post pictures up of the before and after the leveling kit. Thank you everyone for the help and I hope this post will help other people who are having the same issue I had.